How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2006, 07:39 PM

Default Komplete 3 and Pro Tools compatibility

Hi.

I own Komplete 2, which is outdated. Mainly because I couldn't get several of the VI's to work in PT 6.x, so I basically gave up.

I'm considering to go for Kore and the Komplete 2 -> Komplete 3 upgrade. It's a quite good introductory offer...if it works.

So, how are things nowadays with Komplete 3 and PT? Does it work right out of the box? Do you wrap the VSTi's (VST-RTAS adapter)? Unexpected quits?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Komplete 3 and Pro Tools compatibility

I use Komplete 3 as RTAS plug-ins. I don't use the wrapper. Right out of the box I did have trouble, the first few days. And a couple unexpected crashes, (always happened while saving or closing PTs, I believe it had something to do with giving the save command while PTs was auto saving.) I did experience an unusual lag when running multiple different instruments. As always I orignaly installed the software plugs to the system drive and the sample libraries to the audio drive. After a good amount of investigation I moved the sample library for Acoustik Piano to the system drive and that seems to have alleviated all problems. Pro Tools is back to running flawlessly on my computer with absolutley no crashes since.

I am also happy to say that running PTLE7 I have no trouble using any of the features of the Komplete 3 instruments, for example I am able to use multiple outputs without any troubles.

I just strongly recomend you have the latest needed updates for all your programs including Komplete 3 and other plu-ins etc. Really sometimes, it can be a matter of multiple little things coming together. And if necessary spread the sample library for one or two of your most used, most intensive samples to a different drive. Honestly, just moving that one sample library made a world of a difference.

I understand many have had and continue to have trouble with NI but I can say truthfully that I am able to use their products succesfully. Right now their instrument plugs are all I seem to use.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:55 AM

Thanks a lot. I have to say that I'm a little frantic about NI Komplete bundles, but hopefully I'll get the same stability and usage that you have. That sounds great.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:44 AM

Reaktor 5 doesn't work as a native RTAS. It works best as a wrapped VST.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:59 AM

Being a Kool-Aid drinking, Native Instruments fanatic, when I saw this thread I had to take a peek and then weigh in. Someone mentioned maybe getting Kore. I'm really curious about Kore although I've decided to wait a little while. I'm interested in what affect if any it might have on system performance.

Couple of comments:

(1.) Komplete2 is out of date? Really? The version I bought is pretty old (a special pre-launch edition--remember that?) and NI is still updating it all the time. Its identical to Komplete 3 in fact, accept for the fact that K3 includes more "stuff" (G-Rig2, etc.). I suppose if you haven't taken advantage of the komplete Care packages you might have a point, but even then, the VIs that haven't been upgraded yet (like FM7, Pro53, Vokator, Intakt, Kompakt, Spektral Delay) will all work in PT7 if you download and use the new registration updater, and have the latest versions.

(2.) I'm using the new FXpansion VST Wrapper v2.0. My wrapped NI VSTs are so buggy I don't bother with them anymore.

(3.) My NI Komplete 2 RTAS plugins work almost flawlessly in Pro Tools 7.1cs6. And 7.0. How is such a thing possible? Go figure. And very efficiently...no pops or clicks. Even Reaktor 5 swims along smoothly.

(4) Prior to PT7, I wouldn't even think of installing NI plugins on my ProTools rig. Komplete2 went on my PC DAW and from there I recorded the VIs into ProTools on my Mac Pro Tools DAW. The fact that I am running Komplete 2 through Pro Tools, in Pro Tools Sessions, on the same computer, is revolutionary for me. So much easier. So convenient. I love it.

I had a lot of issues getting PT 7 to run at first. It forced me to tune up my system very thoroughly, to say the least. That may have a lot to do with the fact that I'm having a better NI experience under PT7 than I had before PT7. I'm having a better PT experience, too.

Best to all,

Mike Colucci
Old 04-26-2006, 10:43 AM

This is new to me. Since I had major problems in 6.x, I assumed that the same issues would be present in PT 7. I too bought the special pre-launch edition.

I use FM7, Pro-53 and B4 without any issues. The rest I've simply forgot about due to my 6.x experience. But, if you're able to get work done with Komplete 2, then I'll certainly spend a few hours of updating and testing myself. This is a juicy bundle, no doubt about that.

The VST-RTAS adapter fixed BFD (go figure) and Moog Modular for me. Nice, and a whole new world of plug-ins and VI's appear.
Quote:
My NI Komplete 2 RTAS plugins work almost flawlessly in Pro Tools 7.1cs6.
Can you perhaps give some pointers on what seems to be shaky with the bundle?

Thanks a lot for chiming in with this. I will download the latest of everything and give it a spin.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
This is new to me. Since I had major problems in 6.x, I assumed that the same issues would be present in PT 7. I too bought the special pre-launch edition.

I use FM7, Pro-53 and B4 without any issues. The rest I've simply forgot about due to my 6.x experience. But, if you're able to get work done with Komplete 2, then I'll certainly spend a few hours of updating and testing myself. This is a juicy bundle, no doubt about that.

Can you perhaps give some pointers on what seems to be shaky with the bundle?

Thanks a lot for chiming in with this. I will download the latest of everything and give it a spin.
And...? Any luck? If you're still having problems, there are a couple of things to consider. One, NI has several pages on their website about optimizing your Mac and keeping everything NI friendly. Very practical, very usable, and very essential reading for anyone in our situation. Two, be sure to download and install the K2 registration Hotfix from the updates page of NI's website. Three, its probably best to do a clean, fresh installation of K2, AFTER UNINSTALLING all your old K2 stuff first. In fact, there is no "probably" about it. You have to do it that way or you will have problems.

There are a few other things to consider (but I'm late for my guitar lesson !). If you are still having problems I'll chime in later.

Mike Colucci
Old 04-29-2006, 12:20 PM

Holy smoke, it all seems to work. Downloaded the latest of everything, and had no issues during a NI session. Didn't try Spektral delay and Battery, though. Must have removed those a long time ago, I guess.
Will install and try those also. Very cool.
Thanks.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 PM

Great!! Glad to hear it! Komplete3 is a solid deal in its own right, but if you already have Komplete 2 and don't need/want the add-ons, (or already have them), then an up-to-date Komplete 2 folder is the way to go. Have fun with your re-acquired toys. Reaktor and Kontakt are back in your hands now if I read your previous posts correctly. You've got a lot of catching up to do--check out the Reaktor library. Better pack your lunch.

Best regards!

Mike
Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 PM

Ordered the Komplete 3 upgrade yesterday...and I will pack my lunch.