Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Official 7.4.2 Bug / Problem Thread - Let\'s Help Digi

Digi - Thanks for all your Hard work on this, I can only imagine how hard everyone has been working to correct many of the obstacles Leopard brought to Pro-Tools.

Digi... Maybe you could make this a sticky?

We should all try to list, and Confirm all out problems with 10.5.3 / PT 7.4.2pr - when others begin confirming the same problem, and it seems, "Global"... I'll update this initial thread, with a current list of "Confirmed Problems"

I've 2 machines here, that I've updated to 10.5.3, and clean installed PT LE 7.4.2pr - both are Core 2 Duo's A MacBook Pro and an iMac.

I'll "Start the thread by posting 2 problems"

THE LIST

1. Using an H264 movie in Pro-Tools. "Bounce To QuickTime Movie" results in a .Mov file, with JUST audio - no Video.
2. Using "All Processors" on sessions with high plugin counts, creates Spikes / CPU errors and performs considerably less, then using 1 core (Processor) less then the Maximum.
3. Many users have CoreAudio issues / Not Responding in Activity Monitor - when using OS X Audio through Core Audio
4. Some users having difficulty with Music Production Toolkit, and DV Toolkit features "Showing up in pro-Tools" after Instal
5. Spotlight indexes all drives on your system, continuously. Disabling spotlight by dragging all volumes into the Spotlight Privacy window is the current workaround.

*NOTE* Number 4 is not "Across the board" - several users are successfully using MPTK with Ptle 7.4.2pr

Please post other problems you find - if you are "Confirming a previous post / problem" please Quote the Original Problem / Post - and follow it with "Confirmed" and I'll add it to the list.

SOME TEMPORARY WORK AROUNDS

- Disable Spotlight for your audio Drives, by dragging them to --System Preferences --> Spotlight --> Privacy

- Disable / Remove Digi Core Audio by trashing "Digidesign CoreAudio.plugin" file from /Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ and restarting your system.

- Set pro tools Playback engine to "1 processor LESS" then the available amount of cores / processors on your system.

- Do not merge Post Audio for video in pro-tools (You simply can't) - Until "Bounce To Movie" works with the current version of ProTools, bounce audio, and import into a video editing application, iMovie, FCP, ect... to print audio back to video.

- DV toolkit and Music Production Toolkit installers are here. http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=28388 Make SURE you're running these installers and NOT previous installers

Our objective here, is to help one another with problems that may be user specific, so that we're not flooding Digidesign, with Bug reports, on individual issues. let's find problems across the board, that are specific to PTLE 7.4.2pr and it's components. THEN report them to digi.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-30-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Official 7.4.2 Bug / Problem Thread - Let\'s Help Digi

ive had problems with the mov files aswell

but i had a session running earlier today with 29 tracks and at least one plug in on almost every track and no spikes.

im running on a macbook with 4gb of memory

maybe its just because i have so much memory. That could be it.

im running pretty smooth though

and
the first time i went to open a session pt crashed. but after that i had no problems.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
2. Using "2 Processors" on sessions with high plugin counts, creates Spikes / CPU errors and performs considerably less, then using just 1 core (Processor)
I believe the "2 processor" spike/errors isn't unique to PT 7.4.2pr. I'm still using PT 7.3.1 and I experience these same spike/errors described. Even though this problem may not be unique to the latest upgrade, I agree that this should be addressed.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM

by clean install,do you mean you uninstalled 7.4 then installed 7.4.2 and upon first initiating pt it asks for your 7.4 code.sorry if this question seems dumb but i really want to install this correctly,because usually with updates,you keep previous versions and install new updates on top of software.do you know if the core audio drivers are different,because they would lock up when using my final cut while trying to use my mbox 2 mini with final cut to output audio? thanks for any help from anyone
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios
Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 PM

Yes... do a "CLEAN UNINSTALL" by running the uninstaller that comes in the pt7.4.2pr dmg file - then install PT 7.4.2 and you'll need to use your 7.4 unlock code, to unlock the new installation. Yes I'll install a new Core Audio driver, which seems ok with 10.5.3 (Thus far)

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 05-30-2008, 03:20 PM

thanks for the info
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios
Old 05-30-2008, 03:30 PM

KingFish,

are you saying that, when you go into:

system preferences > Sound > input

and select your digi device... that it works?

I just posted a thread about this not working.

Donovan
Original Mbox
Keystation (49)
Xpand! (latest)
PTLE 7.4.2cs4
Old 05-30-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Set processors to max -1 to start?

After spending far too much time hunting things down, phone calls and other fun...

3rd party plugins might not be Leopard 10.5.3 AND Pro Tools 7.4.2pr compliant.
If you have issues, remove all 3rd party plugs, especially VI's, and then see if all is well.

With my Mac Pro 1st gen 2.66G + 4G ram, if I use 3rd party VI's I usually get nice spikes every do often. If I pull the 3rd party stuff and use Digi/AIR, all is fine. Since NI has stated that they are aware of an issue, and since Arturia has the same thing, I would guess it is not just those two. Who knows why, who cares. Until it is fixed though.. well, resorting to using ONLY Digi/AIR plugs seems a rash solution. By dropping from my 4 max cores being used by PT down to 3, all is well. I can watch spikes drift by now and then, and no hiccups with my 002 and 24/44.1k, 128 buffer, DAE2 sessions.

I have spoken to a few people who have 8 core machines, and they said all is fine for them at 7 cores (processors in the Playback Engine settings in PT), but if they go to all 8 (max) and throw in 3rd party VI's, poof! Stability gone, errors, etc. Do some metering and Terminal work and you will see interesting things.

Maybe Digi can explain why, but for now, dropping just the one core (from my 4 max to 3) has freed enough nonPT system resource to allow PT to "breathe." Works for me- anyone else?
Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM

Core Audio Driver is definitely NOT ok with 7.4.2pr and 10.5.3, as you still can't use it as your main sound card to play iTunes or anything through it.

Digi PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Core Audio Driver is definitely NOT ok with 7.4.2pr and 10.5.3, as you still can't use it as your main sound card to play iTunes or anything through it.

Digi PLEASE HELP!!!!
Using my 002 + 10.5.3 + 7.4.2pr with itunes right now while surfing.. all fine.
What happens when you try?