Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM

Default DigiLink I/O thing ???

Long time user. Been using TDM to HD Accel 3, etc.. Last few years been temporarily using Pro Tools normal (12- 2019.whatever, etc..)

About to finally trade in my older systems for HDX, and use my 5 Prism ADA-8XR's for a total of 80ch of Outputs when needed. Hooked up via the HDX modules, to the cards, etc..

But I came across this weird thing called DigiLink I/O, and they seem to be advertising something hilarious like what should just be naturally free obviously. I hope I got this wrong and if not, I might just finally give up on Avid thanks to their remotely new pay structure format and this digilink thing if its true.

So apparently it is saying I can not use 3rd party interfaces like my ADA-8XR's anymore as replacements for the Avid Converters ? Or something like it will purposely restrict the amount of I/O unless I purchase this DigiLink thing ????

Hopefully I am reading that wrong. If not, exactly how does it work, what are the true limitations and anything else I need to know.

Again, will be needing to link 5 Prism ADA-8Xr's together for a total of 80 simultaneous outs. (inputs will never be more than 16 simultaneously) and I will never need both them numbers at same time.. So at max its either 80 outs only OR 16 ins with 2 outs max. You get the idea.

Before, back when times were normal, this just worked, you bought PTHD software, hooked up your compatible 3rd party interfaces (Apogees or Prisms with PT modules installed) and Pro Tools SEEN them interfaces as HD192's in the I/O window and gave you all the I/O they were collectively capable of. No limitations, no goofy government control, just simply buy and get what you pay for, not this buy to buy to buy to rent to buy to rent crap.

Anyway - This is all I was expecting to do. Pretty simple, been done for decades. Someone please shed some light, thanks !
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 PM

Default Re: DigiLink I/O thing ???

The Digilink "thing" is simply an iLok asset that allows you to use the Digilink connections(which any Digilink device will then work). The license is a one-time purchase for $299. Of course, if you buy a new HDX card, that licence will be included to the best of my knowledge

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-15-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The Digilink "thing" is simply an iLok asset that allows you to use the Digilink connections(which any Digilink device will then work). The license is a one-time purchase for $299. Of course, if you buy a new HDX card, that licence will be included to the best of my knowledge
Thanks for chiming in Dave !

Yea, so they are charging $300 to be able to do what we always were able to do anyway. Literally the only thing I always justified the cost of TDM/Accel/HDX Ultimate was the fact that you could use all the extra physical outs beyond the vanilla system. So if we have to buy Ultimate at $2,600, tell me what that price is for if that price isn't unlocking the extra I/O like it used to ? What are they thinking here ?

So is this DigiLink thing price of $299, per entire system, meaning one price of $299 would cover 3 cards of extra I/O (192 total possible I/O) ? Or is One $299 DigiLink license needed per card ?

Also, you mentioned it as if this license is needed to even use the connections. But after reading more, it seems to say it just gives you extra I/O. So if one does not get this license, then what is the total possible outputs ?
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 01-15-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Of course, if you buy a new HDX card, that licence will be included to the best of my knowledge
A Digilink License is not included with cards AFAIK, one is included with each Avid DigiLink interface... it's a user tax that Avid wanted to charge people who buy third party DigiLink Interfaces.

And it's not a restriction, well it's an absolute one, none of these DigiLink interfaces will work until you have that license (ie. without it you can use Ultimate with other CoreAudio/ASIO interfaces).

Since you have existing non-Avid interfaces I suspect you will end up purchase a Digilink License. Ask your reseller, they should know all this backwards, if there is any way to get a fee license that you qualify for, etc. it's what they are there for.

And it's one license per system for all the IO you can eat... that (and more) is all explained on the DigiLink license page on the Avid store.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Digilink License is not included with cards AFAIK, one is included with each Avid DigiLink interface
true
Old 01-16-2020, 03:40 AM

But if he buys a Ultimate License I believe it is included in that purchase.

Was for us atleast.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
But if he buys a Ultimate License I believe it is included in that purchase.

Was for us atleast.
Maybe, but not included with HDX card
Old 01-16-2020, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Maybe, but not included with HDX card
Never said that!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 AM

OP trying to trade-in old cards; Darryl said not included with card, I said true.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
OP trying to trade-in old cards; Darryl said not included with card, I said true.
We know that and hqve established that 6 posts up! Digilink license included in PT Ultimate License and he should not have to pay $299 when buying a PTU license for 2500 dollars! Now That WOULD be Insane!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Closed Thread