Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hello bcwiz,

Thanks for listening to the podcast. With your 15-month upgrade plan you received all upgrades through Pro Tools 12.5. That would have included: new Freeze and Commit workflows, Clip Transparency, new batch fades workflows, unlimited busses, an improved I/O setup, plus Cloud collaboration. If you are a PT owner (as opposed to PT HD) you also received a bunch of other new capabilities.

I'm sorry to hear that you consider this a complete waste of money. Was there something additional you were expecting to receive?

Thanks,
Tony
posted earlier in this thread
http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2358137&postcount=6

Old 05-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Tony-

Here is another angle. I am sitting on PT 11, with a paid subscription. I can update to 12.5 and after coming to the DUC, I was honestly blown away by how many problems I am seeing.

So now, I am working on PT 11 because I really cannot afford down time or errors popping up left and right. Nobody can, obviously. Stability is essential. Waste of subscription time.

Thankfully, I have a couple more months before my subscription expires. Hopefully everything gets worked out. At the end of the day, stability trumps new features any day of the week.

I do commend you for the podcast and for answering concerns on this forum.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Hi JCBigler,

While I respect that you may not care cloud collaboration, many of our customers do.

Also, there have been an enormous amount of bugs addressed in the past 6 months alone. Some of them are documented in this light reading here:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/R...-Release-Notes

Thanks for being a part of the Avid community,
Tony
Hi Tony,

I'm about to spend an enormous amount of tax payer funds on a new audio workstation for our 2,400 seat theatre. Currently the plans are to incorporate a Protools HD|Native system into this set up. But your post and the disdain that Avid has shown it's customers is making me rethink that decision.

In my side of the business, I need absolute, rock solid stability. We record and do playback for live shows; theatre, symphonies, operas, ballets and music events. If I can't count on the software that I use to run without a single glitch, then I am not going to spend our tax payer funds on that system. I've been fighting to get this system for over 3 years and we deferred other capital expenses to get this on the budget list for this year. If it's not going to work right out of the box with little more than a few tweaks on my part, then I'm not going to put it into a production environment.

We are not just a two-bit local studio or a project studio run by some doctor or lawyer with too much money to burn on a hobby. We are a full time commercial facility. We produce over 500 publicly attended events per year and are the single largest performance venue in the entire state of Oklahoma. And I get to pick the audio equipment that we put in this building. Think about that for just a minute.

Based on it's past reputation, Protools would be the natural choice to augment our sound systems. But Nuendo may be a better choice, and certainly cheaper.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 05-19-2016, 12:04 PM

Tony,

I just heard you talk about how much extra work it takes to make HD only features.

Doesn't all that extra money we are paying, more than make it possible?

So, where are they?
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
So where are they?
And which are they? I'm just making a point that us moderators don't know anything about this...
Old 05-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
And which are they?
After listening to Tony's podcast, I don't believe there are any even planned.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.

Last edited by Ghost In The Attic; 05-19-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I hear you loud and clear TAMBOR.

Delivering reliability is an ongoing effort, as you can imagine. With every new OS, supporting 3rd party software, plug-ins and other factors, it's a game of whack-a-mole. Still, this is a top priority in every release. As part of the effort to better communicate stability improvements we've been publishing updates in the release notes, here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/R...-Release-Notes

If you are experiencing issues on your end, please continue to send details to us.

Thanks for your time,
Tony
I understand the problems with new OS. But...
AAX is an Avid-only platform. Avid provides the SDK for AAX, so why the heck are there supposedly problems in 12.5 with AAX plugins?????

Bad SDK???
Old 05-19-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Bad SDK???
Calm down. They were apparently in a hurry and didn't implement plugin sandboxing, which would have calmed lots of rogue 3rd party plugins down. Maybe some day, who knows? AAX is great, performs just as good as AU.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl View Post
Tony-

Here is another angle. I am sitting on PT 11, with a paid subscription. I can update to 12.5 and after coming to the DUC, I was honestly blown away by how many problems I am seeing.

So now, I am working on PT 11 because I really cannot afford down time or errors popping up left and right. Nobody can, obviously. Stability is essential. Waste of subscription time.

Thankfully, I have a couple more months before my subscription expires. Hopefully everything gets worked out. At the end of the day, stability trumps new features any day of the week.

I do commend you for the podcast and for answering concerns on this forum.

Just want to let you know that I'm on 12.5, doing a whole album with lots of VA and Audio. Plus my Producer and I are now doing cloud collaboration and it is working really good so far. It seems that not all systems are affected by noise blasts and errors...
Old 05-19-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinstar View Post
It seems that not all systems are affected by noise blasts and errors...
Yes, very true. Just follow the Avid Compatibility Guidelines and you're on the safer side...