Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

Total rewrite never happens. What it means all of the codebase have been reviewed against 64-bit requirements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Interesting - Tony Cariddi From Avid Talks Cloud Pricing, Pro Tools 12.5.1 & More

The Avid Audio Engine is pretty obviously not the old DAE/TDM code from the '90s. My guess is that Pro Tools 8 was the beginning (with the GUI) of a transition to new code that was completed with PT11. Logically new code comes with new bugs which certainly could have old symptoms. I'm amazed it's as stable as it is! Moving to 64 bit was pretty rocky for everything I've seen that didn't start life coded for 64 bits along with 32 in the first place.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 AM

I am worried, this is incredible, as he said "there are many other DAWs in the market" so seems is time to start slowly migrating to one of those DAWs, I just purchased with enthusiasm an HDX system, coming for a TDM Accell 3.
After spending so many thousands of dollars in Avid, I feel that any other audio software company where i spent a couple of hundred of dollars is close to me than Avid.

This focus in Cloud Collaboration is not good to Pro Tools as a DAW, because first the priority shpould be to fix all the PT 12 issues...in m case 12.5.1 is worse than 12.5.0

And for what I want a cloud collaboration even if can be super cool and "in case" I really need it? if the DAW is super unstable?

Things mentioned in this interview are scary. like "the Market is asking for very specific features like "offline bounce, Freeze etc".... wow, the market is not asking for this, those features are more than 10 years old !... and to believe that Avid should put the Cloud Collaboration as a more important priority than making the DAW rock solid and super stable and up-to-date in features comparing to other DAWs, to me this is total no-sense and mind-blowing.

Reuven Amiel
Mixer/Producer.

Last edited by AMIEL; 06-21-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
I am worry, this is incredible, as he said "there are many other DAWs in the market" so seems is time to start slowly migrating to one of those DAWs, I just purchased with enthusiasm an HDX system, coming for a TDM Accell 3.
After spending so many thousands of dollars in Avid, I feel that any other audio software company where i spent a couple of hundred of dollars is close to me than Avid.

This focus in Cloud Collaboration is not good to Pro Tools as a DAW, because first the priority shpould be to fix all the PT 12 issues...in m case 12.5.1 is worse than 12.5.0

And for what I want a cloud collaboration even if can be super cool and "in case" I really need it? if the DAW is super unstable?

Things mentioned in this interview are scary. like "the Market is asking for very specific features like "offline bounce, Freeze etc".... wow, the market is not asking for this, those features are more than 10 years old !... and to believe that Avid should put the Cloud Collaboration as a more important priority than making the DAW rock solid and super stable and up-to-date in features comparing to other DAWs, to me this is total no-sense and mind-blowing.
Many AVID customers agree with you.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 PM

So far 12.5.1 is rocking for me. Fast and no -9173. No access violations. Very clean.

It likes the sky lake. I hope it does not meltdown. So far elastic audio editing hasn't broken it.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The Avid Audio Engine is pretty obviously not the old DAE/TDM code from the '90s. My guess is that Pro Tools 8 was the beginning (with the GUI) of a transition to new code that was completed with PT11. Logically new code comes with new bugs which certainly could have old symptoms. I'm amazed it's as stable as it is! Moving to 64 bit was pretty rocky for everything I've seen that didn't start life coded for 64 bits along with 32 in the first place.
The video engine in PT12.5.1 IS the Avid 8.4.5 engine, that runs flawlessly on Media Composer.
Why does it crash in Pro Tools??
Old 06-23-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Hello bcwiz,

Thanks for listening to the podcast. With your 15-month upgrade plan you received all upgrades through Pro Tools 12.5. That would have included: new Freeze and Commit workflows, Clip Transparency, new batch fades workflows, unlimited busses, an improved I/O setup, plus Cloud collaboration. If you are a PT owner (as opposed to PT HD) you also received a bunch of other new capabilities.

I'm sorry to hear that you consider this a complete waste of money. Was there something additional you were expecting to receive?

Thanks,
Tony
None of which I can use in the main room because you (Avid) bricked my Pro Control. The crappy video engine, recording dropouts in early versions of 11 (did that get fixed?), not being able to put plugins on top of the video window (did that get fixed?), lousy app manager (why bother), Cloud Collab not wanted or needed thanks (besides the EULA would preclude using it in post). And yes I am an HD owner, so what. If I want to move forward I need to find some money to buy a used Icon so in the mean time paying an upgrade and support plan is a waste of money. I'm sure you're a nice guy Tony but I think it's a damn mess over there.