Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015, 04:01 AM

Default 5.1 monitoring on a budget

Hi you all.

I would like a 5.1 monitoring system on a budget just for editing porpouses in a small postproduction studio.

I was seeing the JBL LSR305 + LSR310s but i´m not sure about the
bass reflex in the backside of the monitor and the "stereo image system" they got (designed for stereo) and how it will work in 5.1
Another option could be yamaha HS5 + HS8s

I would appreciate any suggestions and coments.
I´m not very experienced, but I want the best studio monitors on a budget for working in surround in my small studio.

any comment will be usefull!!

Last edited by sprotnik; 08-10-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:27 AM

Default Re: 5.1 monitoring on a budget

what budget surround monitors would you recomend me?
Old 08-10-2015, 06:19 AM

I like the JBL LSR series. I haven't heard these small 300s though. Do your research, and think about where to do bass management and surround monitor control. These things can be done in hardware (more expensive), or in hybrid software configs (cheaper). Some of the mid-range JBL and Genelecs perform these functions in the subwoofer or on a network, reducing the need for an elaborate surround monitor controller.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:40 AM

I would recommend the LSR4328p. You can find them Pretty inexpensively on the used market. I picked up 2 stereo sets for around $600 a set a few years a go, used 3 for he LCR sold the leftover one and moved my old stereo monitors to the rears.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 AM

I think, by a huge margin, JBL LSR 28p's are the best deal in monitors. They are exactly the same as 6328P but can be had for 1/4 the cost because they are an older version. They sound so much better then the 4328's and are cheaper. If you deside to buy the older 28p's, pay attention to the tweeters. They are quickly blown in the wrong hands and cost about 180 to replace.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-10-2015, 01:59 PM

I would not go with the Yamahas for post.

I'm not familiar with the JBL's you mention but the other models listed above are all good.

If this is on a budget and just for editing you could get by with smaller and cheaper models. Like Blue Skys or the mini Genelecs. Depending on where you are something like Dynaudio or Focal might be feasible too.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Used gear (like jbl 28p) is pretty difficult to find in my area, buying them without hearing it, shipping, taxes... I think it will be complicated and it will encrease the whole price
I would love to have other models mentioned but they are out of my budget.
Maybe, making big effort I could pay adam f5 and wait for a while for buying the sub.

I know that all 5 monitors have to be exactly the same but... It would be reasonable to have a better LCR monitors and cheaper LsRs temporary?

I'm not sure about the monitor control system, I'm thinking about a spl smc 2498 that I found used in my country for a rasonable price.
I don't know the hybrid systems, can you give me any cue?

Thanks again for advicing a newbie and regards
Old 08-11-2015, 04:15 AM

What's the budget? That'd be the number one question.

Without knowing that, I would recommend a Genelec sub and five small Genelec satellites.

Sub is the most important thing in a budget 5.1 setup as you will easily pay just as much for cabling and mounting/stands than cheapest monitors out there.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:35 AM

Well...
I would say a 1000-1500 usd for the budget but it depends.
If I'm adviced about a surround monitor system that costs about 2000 but I'll notice a big difference... I'll do it.
I consider that I don't need lots of loudnes or so. I'll edit in a small room. Most monitors I have seen are designed for music mixing and it's not what I'm looking for.
I was adviced about the yamaha HS5 cause it's pretty flat, and I was told that JBL LSR had a great sound for this price...

Anyway, I'm open to any suggestion and advice
Old 08-11-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about the monitor control system, I'm thinking about a spl smc 2498 that I found used in my country for a rasonable price.
I don't know the hybrid systems, can you give me any cue?
A really cheap way to go while still being easy to calibrate is to use the Waves 360 plug-ins on the master output of your audio interface and do level control and bass management in software, for probably 10% of the price of hardware. I don't do it this way myself, but have occasionally done it in live venues when I really needed bass management. An audio interface, Waves 360 and the cheapest JBL LSRs will get you there. If you use the JBL LSR 310 you will bypass the onboard bass management, because it's only stereo.

The JBL LSR4300 series has calibration, level control and bass management built-in to the network that the speakers use. The included remote control gives you a savings of about $2000 because you don't need a hardware surround monitor control.