How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Release Date & Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
JFreak said he has been using cloud collab for years, so maybe those who are in with AVID get those features.
Nope, not me. If you mean this post, I meant that films/tv have been on cloud for years already.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Nope, not me. If you mean this post, I meant that films/tv have been on cloud for years already.
Well if you mean localized servers and FTP's, those aren't clouds.

If you mean 3rd party clouds like Gobbler and Dropbox, sure. But not on the lots.
Independent stuff probably.

Clouds are multiple servers in multiple locations and there are many shows and films will not allow clouds at all.
Internal only.

I can guarantee there is no Marvel, Star Wars, Walking Dead ect ect that is sitting on any cloud at this time. Or anytime for that matter prior to release.
There have been film where you had to use their computers, and could not even bring a drive into the editor areas.
And then there are the lengthy NDA's.

No studio is going to trust a 3rd party with unreleased material sitting on multiple servers in different places.

I highly doubt any Lady Gaga, Metallica, Taylor Swift ect ect, lives on any cloud either.

It maybe different for you, but in the world I am in. There is and will not be clouds run by AVID, dropbox, Gobbler ect.
And after Sony, that is going to be a wide spread policy.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-07-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I highly doubt any Lady Gaga, Metallica, Taylor Swift ect ect, lives on any cloud either.
You don't want Lars po'd at you - remember how he and Metallica took on Napster? The whole business model changed.

QAPLA!
Old 02-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You don't want Lars po'd at you - remember how he and Metallica took on Napster? The whole business model changed.
Napster and cloud storage aren't the same things.

If you think there is a comparison between the two, you should really look at the difference and read up a bit on Sony's hack.

Lives locally. No "feature" in a DAW is going to dictate cloud storage.

Not even a comparison

And years before napster there were FTPs full of movies, albums and software. So it isn't like Napster was the first to "file share" and that changed the industry.
It created 100 more peer to peer services.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-08-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Napster and cloud storage aren't the same things.

If you think there is a comparison between the two, you should really look at the difference and read up a bit on Sony's hack.

Lives locally. No "feature" in a DAW is going to dictate cloud storage.

Not even a comparison

And years before napster there were FTPs full of movies, albums and software. So it isn't like Napster was the first to "file share" and that changed the industry.
It created 100 more peer to peer services.
I never said Napster and cloud storage were the same things. I was just commenting on the possibility of the cloud being hacked vis-a-vis getting an artist ticked off and how you don't want to do that to certain ones and the Lars bit was just a bit of historical reference for that (and how when something like the Napster things happens a whole business model gets changed).

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
How many of the top 25 feature requests in Ideascale have made it into PT12? Answer - zero. Well, maybe one - as and when track freeze finally crawls out from bug-ridden hell, which is the only place it can have been living since it was demoed nearly a year ago.

Its perplexing, really. It does seem like Avid are hell bent on destroying themselves. They ask for ideas for features, ignore the lot, bundle a shop into the program and then try to force people to pay an annual sub to stop their license being permanently frozen. Quite bizarre. Beware audio companies on the stock exchange...

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...pear-in-p.html
I see it this way...

How many commercial music and post studios will open in the next ten years without PT HD?

How many universities, that process kids in and out like cars on an assembly line, will stop partnering with Avid and using and teaching PT HD to penny pinching students who will in turn most likely buy the perceived more affordable Vanilla subscription at least once?

If Avid only produced one feature per new release then for the foreseeable future PT will still sale, as long as it is still supported, because NOTHING has replaced it.

Avid takes solace in that fact, which is why they can basically ignore Ideal Scale and sell support subscriptions instead of a DAW loaded with new features.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
I see it this way...

How many commercial music and post studios will open in the next ten years without PT HD?

How many universities, that process kids in and out like cars on an assembly line, will stop partnering with Avid and using and teaching PT HD to penny pinching students who will in turn most likely buy the perceived more affordable Vanilla subscription at least once?

If Avid only produced one feature per new release then for the foreseeable future PT will still sale, as long as it is still supported, because NOTHING has replaced it.

Avid takes solace in that fact, which is why they can basically ignore Ideal Scale and sell support subscriptions instead of a DAW loaded with new features.
It doesn't matter if PT still sale or not. It matters how much AVID will earn enough to run their business. If a restaurant has no customer, do you think it can still be in business? Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, etc, can't even ignore their customers. You have no idea what you are saying.

Last edited by longname; 02-12-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longname View Post
It doesn't matter if PT still sale or not. It matters how much AVID will earn enough to run their business. If a restaurant has no customer, do you think it can still be in business? Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, etc, can't even ignore their customers. You have no idea what you are saying.
And what I just read ^^^^ is certainly correct beeeeeecause?

Here is what we know:

The subscription model is here and PT 12 will be released soon 'without' the most requested features on Ideal Scale. When Avid goes out of business then I will say you had an idea of what you were talking about.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnnspv View Post
And what I just read ^^^^ is certainly correct beeeeeecause?

Here is what we know:

The subscription model is here and PT 12 will be released soon 'without' the most requested features on Ideal Scale. When Avid goes out of business then I will say you had an idea of what you were talking about.
Of course I know what I'm talking about. AVID has nothing to do with my life. I hate leaving pro tools, but If AVID forces me to do so, I will. My life won't end w/o Pro Tool. There are many choices out there. Im not the only one in this forum says this.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:07 PM

@longname and @Dnnspv...

Since you guys are both in the states, I presume you've at least heard of Ruths Chris Steak House or Morton's The Steakhouse?

And I trust you know they are not the places you go when you are looking for a quick burger and fries for under $5.00 US, right?

There are customers, and then there are customers.

And the customers Avid wants going forward don't have to post on IdeaScale to get heard...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh