Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-27-2014, 07:07 AM

Default No sound from HD Omni but output meters show signal

I have not used my Pro Tools rig for seven weeks and now I can't get any sound out of my HD Omni from either the monitors or the headphones. I would be grateful for some help and am supposed to be printing some mixes for tonight. I am running Pro Tools 11.2.1 on an HDX card in a Thunderbolt Magma chassis and an iMac 3.1GHz Intel Core i5 with 16Gb 1333MHz DDR3 memory running OS 10.9.5. It was all working fine last time I used it and the HD Omni is in a rack and hasn't been moved since I last used it.

The version of Pro Tools and the version of the Mac OS are the same as when I last used Pro Tools. The plug-ins used in all the sessions are the same as when I last used Pro Tools and I have not changed any or updated any.

I have turned everything off, disconnected everything, checked the HDX card is seated properly, reconnected everything, restarted and then ran Digitest and there were no problems. I have done a Reset of the Omni. The Pro Tools Hardware Setup window shows in the Analogue Out window that Ch 1 and Ch 2 are set to Speaker (+10 dBu) and the TRS Mirrors are set to Analogue Out 1-2, and in the Main window shows that Ch 1 and Ch 2 Outputs are set to Monitor 1-2. I can see from the meters that Pro Tools is playing back the music and I did a short Bounce To Disc test and that bounced WAV file played back successfully via the iMac's internal speakers.

The output meters on the HD Omni show that the music is playing back on Channels 1 and 2 and the MUTE switch is off but I get no sound through the monitors or through the headphones. I have adjusted the output volume for both monitors and headphones right up to zero using the Monitor encoder knob, but still no sound comes out.

I have checked that the monitors are connected to the TRS1 and TRS2 sockets on the back of the HD Omni and I have checked that the monitors are powered up.

I have checked the headphones with another source and they are working.

Have I missed something obvious or is something broken in the HD Omni?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:16 AM

Default Re: No sound from HD Omni but output meters show signal

If you set the playback engine to use the computer speakers do you hear sound?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-27-2014, 07:35 AM

Yes, Pro Tools itself is working, and the Omni is receiving the signal and showing it on its output meters, but it won't output the sound.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:29 AM

Try going into IO & click the default tab.
I don't think omni uses 1+2 for LR out.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 12-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Just a wild guess here...I know nothing of the HD Omni, but with third party interfaces, I have seen this happen...Have you checked to make sure the sample rate on the Omni is the same as the Protools session?

(Maybe the HD Omni always gets set to the session sample rate, but you never know.)

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-27-2014, 09:12 AM

Yes, thanks, I checked all that. In the end I shut everything down, left it for ten minutes, restarted and amazingly the Omni started outputting sound! A mystery.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:11 PM

I have an Omni, but don't use it much.
Doesn't it default to "mute"?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:02 PM

It always mutes when you first power it on, as did the 003 and other interfaces.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:43 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, but this is nothing to do with the mute switch. Turning the mute switch on or off made no difference - no sound came out of the Omni even though the mute switch was off and the Output Meters were showing signal going out. I suspect it was a software bug. The system worked perfectly after the second time I switched everything off, left it a while then restarted everything.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedin View Post
Thanks for your suggestions, but this is nothing to do with the mute switch. Turning the mute switch on or off made no difference - no sound came out of the Omni even though the mute switch was off and the Output Meters were showing signal going out. I suspect it was a software bug. The system worked perfectly after the second time I switched everything off, left it a while then restarted everything.
There are two possible reasons for this that I know of
#1 You may have some how opened Core Audio for some other use or just accidentally, without first quitting PT. Then shut down. In which case the Omni is no longer selected in the Audio Midi set up
( at least I know I have done this )
For example when I have to tried to use Itunes or Quicktime or final cut pro or monitor something other than PT which pulls up Core Audio. Then shut down the system then later boot up the system

#1 The easiest fix for this is to quit pro tools then reboot PT while holding down the letter (N) key this will automatically bring up the device selection dialog box and either the HD Omni will not be highlighted or it will be highlighted but greyed out in either case just double click it to highlight it, you will then have to restart PT but it should work if that still does not work but the meters are still showing signal then try # 2

#2 Some how in the session the Omni Analog 1-2 has become switched to a different channel output selection for the output device (who knows how maybe some obscure combo of key commands while flying around the session)

In number #2 the Omni is no longer selected as the output device but is still selected as the input device ( in either the I/O or the Audio Midi Setup) which results in the meters showing the input levels in all the tracks but nothing is coming out of PT.
The fix is to go into the I/O set up and see if in the Output tab showing (right above the actual channel graph , not just listed as the device in the box at the upper left ) that the Omni Analog 1-2 is still above the channel 1&2 boxes on the graph if it says something different like AES or ADAT above channels 1 &2 then simply double click right on that text and a you get a drop down with Analog 1-2 as a choice and select it.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-02-2015 at 10:54 AM.