Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Old TDM Mix Cards on Newer Processors

I recently came across an old TDM Mix card. I'm currently using PT 6.4 TDM Mix. I wanted an extra card for some added chips for more plug ins. According to an old Digi post the old mix cards needed a serial number starting with the letters "FG" as opposed with the "FF" serial numbers. also the AMCC chips had to be rev QE. At the time of these old posts we were using Pentium one's or two's. Now, I have a Pentium 4 on an ASUS motherboard. I know that I read somewhere that since the old motherboard s, the voltages on these PCI slots have changed. I apprehensive about putting the mix card in my new system, since these spec's were applicable to the old Pentiums. Has any tried these old cards on these newer processors/motherboards? I'm concerned I may damage the card and/or the computer by putting it in.
Here's a reference to the old post regarding TDM Cards on PC's:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...ev=#Post703164
Old 03-27-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Old TDM Mix Cards on Newer Processors

Hi

I have an old PCI MIXplus system (Core and Farm) that I originally used in an old G3 (can't remember the specs anymore)

These 2 cards have had quite an adventure. First I went over to PC since the company I was working for was all PC. The problems at the time was you had to have a correct Intel chipset for the cards to work everything else was ok. For a while it was in a P3 computer (can't remeber make or model) but now resides in a old 2003 AlientWare P4 2 Ghz computer with 2Gb memory which I got for free. The only problem is that when you turn it on it gets a boot error which goes away with ctrl-alt-tab (some sort of not enough power problem)

As I said, the only things I've bumped into is, the chipset has to be Intel (listed somewhere on the digidesign.com site) and the power supply need to be 400W+

I tried to put these cards in a G5 Mac I got for free, but they aren't compatible with anything newer then G4.

So I've taken them out of and into computers more times then I care to remember (come to think of it I even put them in a ExpressCard connected Magma case for a while) and nothing has ever happened to them or the computers. So I say feel free to experiment (with out warranties)
(www.ccpgames.com)
Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 PM

On the computer, that you're having the boot up problems, is this computer using the 400W power supply and intel chip set that you mentioned? Also, how did you come across that using cntl+alt+tab would get you out of the the boot up problem? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:37 PM

I lent it so I can't check, but it is running the intel chipset and for that time a good solid powersupply, but I can't remember if it was 400W or not. (my memory says 300 something watts)

The boot failure would only occur on cold boot, so on every cold boot it is required to either do a ctrl-alt-del or a softswitch reboot and then everything runs smoothly.

This was not a problem on the P3 machine I used before, and that had a 400W powersupply. But of course this could be a problem with something else.
(www.ccpgames.com)
Old 09-16-2008, 05:02 AM

Im Running a mix plus in a intel dual core pentium D 2.8 system with a intel 865 chipset with DDR400 memory, its a cheap asus motherboard call a conroe 865PE
its all working as solid as a rock (good old ASrock :) and im going to try the mix plus in my DFI Infinity 965-s Dark Mobo with a core 2 Quad 6600 in the next few weeks whan i get round to it, as i have ditched the MOTU/Nuendo Setup on that machine in favour of the MIX system.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
im going to try the mix plus in my DFI Infinity 965-s Dark Mobo with a core 2 Quad 6600 in the next few weeks whan i get round to it, as i have ditched the MOTU/Nuendo Setup on that machine in favour of the MIX system.
I have been wondering if this would work. I'd really like to move away from my g4 and use a core 2 duo or core 2 quad instead. While I like OSX, I'm getting more and more projects that require a PC, I have a laptop that works but would like something with a more modern graphics card. Be sure to post your findings here.