Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Importing Cakewalk Bundles to LE

Is this possible? I'm moving from Cakewalk/PC to ProTools LE/Mac and I'd like my current projects to work. They are a combo of MIDI and digital audio. I don't have my Mac yet, so I can't just try it.
002R/PTLE 7.3.1
Old 09-22-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Importing Cakewalk Bundles to LE

I've imported from Cakewalk successfully, but it is kind of a pain, and time consuming. You can't do it from a bundle (that I know of), you have to actually import the MIDI and audio data directly. You will also need to install the Cakewalk Audio Finder tool which can be downloaded here ftp://ftp.cakewalk.com/pub/Patches/Cakewalk/CWAF301.exe

Here's how I did it:
First, make sure that all of your audio files in the cakewalk session are edited to the measures and beats grid. This makes it easier to position them correctly in the new protools session.

Next, save the project you are working on as a MIDI file. It will probably warn you that the project contains audio data, but you should just continue and save it as a MIDI file.

Then, use the Audio Finder tool to make a list of the audio files in your project. Since you are moving them from a PC to a MAC, you'll probably want to copy those Audio files to a CD (or multiple CDs for huge projects). My conversion was PC to PC so I just left mine on the hard drive and located them there. You'll want to copy the MIDI file you created too, so you can transfer that.

To import them, open a new protools session, and select Import MIDI ot track. Select the MIDI file from your transfer medium and import. Once imported, you should have a grid to work with. Make sure you're in Grid mode. Now you can import the audio files from your transfer medium. You can use the Import Audio to track, or import them into the Audio Regions list, and drag them into the project and place them in the right location. (There's a helpful "Import Audio" video tutorial at http://www.digidesign.com/disk/diskflix/ if you need more info.)

You'll have to tweak it a little bit to get the audio in the right location, and of course, you'll have to tweak the MIDI to work right for your situation (instruments, output, etc). Some of my audio files actually ended up as one long stream, and I had to cut them up a little after the import. But that's it in a nutshell. Like I said, a bit of a pain, and time consuming, but it works. There might be a better way, and if anyone knows, please share.
I've converted 15 projects this way, and all of them turned out pretty well.
I've got about 15 more that I've put off until I've got some time.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-12-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Pro tools 6.1.1 and behringer DDX3216

I want to use the automation of my ddx3216 and play tracks from PT. What I have to do, step by step? Setups for PT and DDX3216. I use midi connection only, not adat slot. Help me please!