Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 01-07-2003, 11:21 AM

Default Re: SCSI vs Firewire

Exactly! Another thing to consider for LE systems is having a portable firewire drive which will hold sessions AND allow you to work on sessions and bring them to any studio. I still am using the AVammo HUSH and it comes up on any rig I visit and I swear i should get paid by those guys for how many studios have bought one since seeing mine
Old 02-13-2003, 08:49 AM

We'd been using Firewire Drives for years since 911 chipset's out. G4/733, G4/933 Mixplus System with OS9.2.2. ( 9.1, 9.2 before ) with no problems for 64 tracks, heavy editing works and plug-ins.

We have another upcoming new studio that we plan to use PTHD3 system with new G4s. Just wondering if HD3 can work well with Firewire drives with heavy plug-ins, a lot of audio tracks and editing works. I've been told that I should go SCSI rather than Firewire drives. Don't know what to do now ! Please also reply to my email ! Thanks !
[email protected]
Old 02-14-2003, 12:21 AM

There seems to be some confusion here.
Please note the difference between firewire and fibre channel.
As PeeTee already stated correctly, fibre channel is the way to go in preference to SCSI.
Systems like the A/V SAN and A/V San Pro (for multiple PT systems) and the same company's single fibre channel drive, as well as the new Glyph Trip2, provide rock solid data throughput for the most demanding Pro Tools sessions, with the absense of the customary DAE errors.
In comparison, firewire is not really a safe way for professional applications - its simply to slow.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:32 AM

I pretty much cut exclusively to a pair of 911 Firewire drives and have had no performance problems - and that's running 64 tracks at times.

I found the trick is just keeping them clean and defragmented.

Time flies like the wind;
Fruit flies like bananas.
~ Groucho Marx