Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 PM

Default 002c and a digmax

HELP!!

I have a 002c and have been trying to get my digimax ADAT output to feed the ADAT input on my 002c with no luck at all. I think Iíve tried everything the books say but I just canít get it to work! I checked the ADAT out of the mic pre on a alessis HD24 and it worked like a charm.

I've been looking at the 003 rack factory with the 8 mic pres because it has a word clock input. A friend told me that could be the problem. Iíd rather not spend the $750 if I donít have to. Iím thinking I could record 16 simultaneous tracks at a time if the 003 works and then Iíll mix with my 002c.

Iím running PT8 on a PC with an i7 and 9G of ram, running win7. The 002c has been working great but I need to be able to record more than 8 tracks at a time.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Default Re: 002c and a digmax

Not knowing what you have done, let me lay out what works here. Rule #1-the ADAT input does not support sample rates above 48K(so if you are above that, it won't work). Rule #2-clock should be set to Optical in Pro Tools or all the Digimax inputs will pop and click. So let's look at the setup: assuming a lightpipe "cable" goes from the Digimax OUT to the 002 ADAT IN, make sure the connections are seated all the way(hate those plastic connectors). Set the sample rate on the Digimax to 44.1 or 48K(remember to always match this to the session). Open Pro Tools and then open the Hardware menu. You need optical=ADAT(the option for SPDIF is NOT what works here). Then set Clock Source to Optical(or ADAT). Then open the IO setup window>Input tab. If you don't see 16-18 inputs listed, hit the DEFAULT button or add the paths. By default, you get 4 stereo paths(ADAT 1&2, etc) and each will have 2 mono sub-paths. That works fine, but you may want to customize the setup for your needs(my inputs are all labelled according to the preamp or purpose). Hope that solves it for you If not, maybe start over from scratch

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tele View Post
As usual Albee has provided some good info.

But...Are you using 2 ADAT cables?

* You need to connect one ADAT cable from the output of the Digimax to the input 002.

THEN

* You need to connect one ADAT cable from the output of the 002 back to the ADAT input of the Digimax.

The first time I tried to connect an external preamp to a 002 via ADAT, I was trying to do it with just one ADAT cable, which didn't work either. Apparently the second (or return cable) completes the "roundtrip" clock signal and it will lock.

Good luck!
Only true if you want to use internal clocking, or if there are outputs thru the lightpipe piece(to add 8 outputs to the system). I have clocked from the optical with a single lightpipe successfully using a Focusrite ISA-428, Presonus Firestudio, Presonus D8 and Focusrite OctoPre. I did run lightpipe both ways with the Firestudio to use the extra outputs for a while.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Guys, thanks very much for your comments!!

My Digimax only has one ADAT connection so theyíll be no sending a clock return path back to it.

One of the things I did do was connect the Digimax out to my ALesis HD24 and record content to the first 8 channels and played the analog out from all 8 to make sure the Digimax was functioning correctly. That worked perfect. So, itís not the Digimax.

As for the 002 the problem with the setup is that I canít change the clock source to ADAT, PT8 will not accept the change??? Iíve been thinking all along that everything has to be setup just right before it would switch to ADAT, but now I think itís more of a systemic problem.

I setup a session at 24 bit 44.1, and made sure the Digimax was set to 44.1. I created 16 tracks, the first 8 is analog mic/line 1-8 and the next 8 are ADAT 1-8. The Input, output, insert, and buss in the I/O setup are all set to default.

Iíve tried to slave the Digimax and it wonít lock up.

Iím wondering if I need to reload Pro Tools, however everything else seems to be working fine?

Does anyone know of other configuration settings I havenít made that could be preventing my ability to activate the ADAT input?

Iím going to talk to a local repair shop tomorrow to see what they think, and maybe rent an 002 to see if itís my 002. If I get nothing there, I think Iíll get a 003c and sell my 002c. Maybe the word clock input on the 003 will make the difference?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM

Trying to shake the mental cobwebs out on 8 LE, but I wonder if you have the lightpipe(under Setup>Hardware IIRC) set for SPDIF when it needs to be set to ADAT(SPDIF is a 2 channel protocol that can go to 96K, but you want the ADAT 8 channel config for the port). Since the Digimax only has a lightpipe OUT, then you MUST set the clock source in your session to optical(the Digimax must be the master clock). Note that the clock setting will revert to internal, every time you boot the computer(I had a Post-It hanging on the monitor for a few months to remind me)