Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 PM

Default AAE -9173 CPU issues | Upgrade CPU?

I have a 2012 5,1 12core 2.4Ghz with 40GB ram OS 10.12.6 with PT 2019.5. Main HD drive on a SSD via PCIE , all PT sessions are on a seperate SSD drive and the video is also on a separate drive and also upgraded my GPU to a XFX RX 580 8GB and did all of this to help with a -9173 issue. on a a large 5.1 feature film mix on the main master out I have iZotope Insight 2 5.1 and as soon as I have it on the screen with in a second I get the notorious -9173. I've had have tech support address it and they took remote control of my computer for about 2-3 hours deleting, optimizing, etc. and finally checking out the logs and the .ptx session it is a bug that they are now aware of its in their cue for a future release. Don't know when though and its unclear how much things will improve when plug-ins are spending lots of cycles drawing UI elements.

All izotope plugs are fully updated, and I had also tested using the built in outputs as well to rule out the HD OMNI or other possible issues to no avail.
And yes I did the full deletion of Pro Tools Databases and Preferences. Deleted ALL protools software and reinstalled again.

I need the new insight for the Netflix specs and MOSTLY since it can be resized to the bottom of the screen unlike the rest and its the most accurate as well. I've asked this question to Avid tech AND to iZotope and they don't know/no reply for some time now.

Since I am on a 12 core 2.4Ghz system, would upgrading my CPU to a 3.46Ghz and new all same ram of 6 x 8gb for the triple speed ram Mhz help?
From what I've read, hoping a min of %15 to %20 drop in CPU?. Do you think I could expect that?

With Insight 2 on the master track and NOT on the screen CPU is averaging around %70 to %80 with no issues. The moment I have Insight 2 on the screen to watch the meters, PT instantly stops and the CPU window "System Usage" goes all red and jumps to %100 and I get the pop up error of -9173
However the moment close the pop up error and I click on the Insight 2 on the master track and thus close the plug in taking it off the screen, the error goes away and protools goes back to %55 - %60 idle. And when I hit play it goes to mid %70's and plays with no issues.

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated

Thanks!
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 06-10-2019, 12:58 AM

Default Re: AAE -9173 CPU issues | Upgrade CPU?

If it's a known problem then eh maybe not much that can be done. What has Avid told you? Why is this specific to iZotope Insight? Can you find a different meter plugin (I know *nothing* about Netflix metering needs)?

Are you able to freeze/commit tracks to help here?

But Ok one suggestion I have is to explore the graphics issues and test Mojave. Other users have reported high CPU burn with graphics on screen here and had it solved by moving to Mojave. But that was with the mix Window graphics not a plugin. Since your XFX card is 580 based I hope it will support Metal and Mojave. See this thread, http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404737, James Welch did a great job getting his system sorted out. You could also do a quick check if moving the mix window off screen further significantly lowers CPU use like James was seeing. At least one other user here I think saw similar problems.

I would use that same opportunity to do a full clean install. Not sure what exact drives you have now I would either grab another SSD and SATA PCIe card or just connect it to a spare motherboard SATA II port... good enough for a test. Download the Mojave installer to your current boot drive, run it and select the option to do a clean install on the new drive or spare partition. Then do a clean 2019.5 install and ILM and drivers and just iZotope Insight and test.

I'd test that before thinking about hardware upgrades.

Other random sanity check things:
Ignore errors unchecked
Make sure the payback IO Buffer is set as large as it can be
Double check all optimization (WiFi and Bluetooth off etc.)
Disk cache set to a size (several GB) and watch the disk cache meter to see the session load all into memory (meter turns green).
Try dynamic plugin processing off or on, to see if it improves things.
If you remove all other third party plugins except Insight does anything run better?

... just looking for anything that will lower chance of -9173 errors, these won't affect the CPU burn/graphics problem here.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 AM

first of all your cpu speed is to slow at 2.4ghz with the new protools 2019.5 i ran into the same problem but with a 2008 mac pro at that speed so i brought a 2012 mac pro with a 3.46ghz its a beast AAE-9173 might pop up maybe once in your session but my feeling is its do to a poorly coded plugin from time to time and the good part is that problems with cpu heavy plugins issues for the most part is at about 97% or better i would upgrade to 3.46 and about 32gigs of ram asap it should get rid of your insight 2 problems and any other plugins you might be having problems with you won't be sorry its a beautiful thing!
Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
first of all your cpu speed is to slow at 2.4ghz with the new protools 2019.5 i ran into the same problem but with a 2008 mac pro at that speed so i brought a 2012 mac pro with a 3.46ghz its a beast AAE-9173 might pop up maybe once in your session but my feeling is its do to a poorly coded plugin from time to time and the good part is that problems with cpu heavy plugins issues for the most part is at about 97% or better i would upgrade to 3.46 and about 32gigs of ram asap it should get rid of your insight 2 problems and any other plugins you might be having problems with you won't be sorry its a beautiful thing!
And by any chance did you upgrade to Mojave with the new Mac Pro?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:49 AM

I would do the CPU upgrade and ram upgrade. It would be a relatively cost effective attempt. You seem to be maxing out your system as it is. Also from what I have read the new isotope insight is causing a lot of people headaches.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Mojave definitely did sort out my issues, I'm also only running a single 6-core 3.46GHz.

It does sound like the iZotope may be the problem though.

A workaround for now (and this is quite long winded) would be to try VE Pro as a plug in host. I know a few people use it to host their VIs. You could then remove the iZotope plugs from your AAX folder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGP7-bxPJXU

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.engineer View Post
Mojave definitely did sort out my issues, I'm also only running a single 6-core 3.46GHz.

It does sound like the iZotope may be the problem though.

A workaround for now (and this is quite long winded) would be to try VE Pro as a plug in host. I know a few people use it to host their VIs. You could then remove the iZotope plugs from your AAX folder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGP7-bxPJXU

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to upgrade a Spin clone boot drive to Mojave, looks like I have to first go to High Sierra first but it says to install HS a firmware is required.

If I installed HS and the firmware and then go to Majave. Would I be able to put my original Sierra on my SSD and use that if anything goes wrong or wasn't content in Mojave?

I've called Apple tech support a few times and no one seems to know (odd I know)
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to upgrade a Spin clone boot drive to Mojave, looks like I have to first go to High Sierra first but it says to install HS a firmware is required.

If I installed HS and the firmware and then go to Majave. Would I be able to put my original Sierra on my SSD and use that if anything goes wrong or wasn't content in Mojave?

I've called Apple tech support a few times and no one seems to know (odd I know)
First please stop trying to in-situ *upgrade* stuff. I tried to say this clearly before. Do a full new clean install of Mojave. Get your system to a know clean state to test.

What exactly message do you have telling you what exact thing needs to be updated? Mojave should install its compatible BootROM images, and likely require you to reboot etc. I can't remember the exact message you should see there if any, and it may well be typical apple opaque. It won't break backward boot compatibility, just let the Mojave installer do its standard stuff, installing onto a clean drive/partition.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-13-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
First please stop trying to in-situ *upgrade* stuff. I tried to say this clearly before. Do a full new clean install of Mojave. Get your system to a know clean state to test.

What exactly message do you have telling you what exact thing needs to be updated? Mojave should install its compatible BootROM images, and likely require you to reboot etc. I can't remember the exact message you should see there if any, and it may well be typical apple opaque. It won't break backward boot compatibility, just let the Mojave installer do its standard stuff, installing onto a clean drive/partition.
I attached a pic of what comes up going to HS. I've always avoided upgrading to a newer version of anything (wether it's the OS or PT, since if everything works and work is getting done, I leave it. UNLESS if there are issues or features that are needed for a project). I heard back from Avid saying that PT were more in line with Mojave, the performance would be better. But just incase if things go array, I'd like to go back to the SSD via PCIE which I the card out.

Since I am on a RX 580, I probably won't see the progress bar and just wait it out till it reboots? (not that it matters anways)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HS update.jpg (42.0 KB, 0 views)
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 PM

But you are the person having a problem and Mojave is something to test to see if it fixes this. What you normally do is irrelevent.

Thanks, yep useless Apple notices, it's likely a boot prom update, and you'll may get another on Mojave.

But again. Stop doing this. Get a spare drive or partition (or just erase this clone/backup... assuming you have multiple others) and do a full clean install.

I don't understand the rest of your comments. Leave you current drive alone. Install Mojave on a spare drive or partition. I think I've explained that before. But again: Download the Mojave installer app to your current running system. Run it there, when it asks you tell it to install on the blank drive/partition *not* do a boot/system current drive update. You should be able to find detailed steps online if still not clear.