Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2017, 01:32 AM

Default Re: sound issues with using analog mixer on pro tools 12

Are you trying to say "Neewer" NW-700 microphone as there is not a "Neewee" mic in sight ...

And as it cost ~$25 i bet it will sound aweful whatever mic pre you buy. Sorry but those cheapo mics are terrible.

PS. I am loosing respect for Sweetwater more everyday !!!

Just read about this "Professional" sound delivering mixer the OP has:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX4v2

No offence to you but what the heck are they on about at SW?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-24-2017, 01:39 AM

Low end monitors are actually a pretty easy decision. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR308. You need two. There is a smaller/cheaper 5” version, but for most size starter/hone rooms and to get to a good SPL I would go with these. You also likely need to budget for room treatment and cables, mic stands, pop screens, baffles, etc. Good stuff to spend money on,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 01:46 AM

Anyway this thread could go on forever BUT you NEEEED an ASIO Driver to use that onboard soundcard in PT so if you haven't got the ASIO4ALL Adownloaded and installed you won't get anything going here.

www.asio4all.com
Install
Restart Computer
Hold down N key while launching PT
Popup window appears
Choose ASIO4 ALL as sound

The virtual driver is free and on PC you have to have it to get any sound from the onboard card.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-24-2017, 01:52 AM

Default sound issues with using analog mixer on pro tools 12

And to back up what Chris says, spend your money on the basic signal chain, mic, preamp, interface, monitors, headphones. Mixers, outboard effects are a waste of time and a fantasy if you think you are going to mix better because you have knobs on boxes. When getting started it will be how good you can hear/monitor stuff and your creative brain and whatever help you are getting.

Interfaces are harder to decide on, because in the few $100 to few $k range there is a wide variety of features/capability etc. and you do get what you pay for within reason. Important decisions are what IO is on the box, like S/PDIF, quality of preamps and very very importantly the vendors software support from drivers and utility support. I would be looking at USB interfaces from MOTU, Presonus, Apogee (who now supports Windows on their USB interfaces). I would have used to recommend Focusrite in the few hundred dollar price range but their software has too many issues and support seems to have gotten worse. You might spend some time say looking at interfaces from those brands on Sweetwater.com and seeing what they offer near the price point you are looking at.

What kind of vocals are you recording? Do you have any place/anybody to borrow mics or preamps from?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 02:45 AM

Yeh sorry the Neewer mic hahah! and yeh it is a cheap mic so ima try to get a new one very shortly! and for the monitors ill definitely get those they seem nice and they got a good price! Im gonna look at inferaces right now and preamps, and Im recording rap vocals mainly but I also wanna record songs where i mostly or only sing Im very comfortable with my voice as an istrument, and I have a bassy voice so which kind of mic works best for that? I was thinking a Wide diaphragm mic, the Apex 435A to be exact!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:48 AM

And I had ASIO already, right now I just want everything I need to pull the best kind of vocal I can, and for the mixer I bought I dint buy it in order to do all the fancy stuff beforehand it was originally just to bypass the latency issue when my mic was straight into my pc! I just want knobs and such for the experience it has nothing to do with fancy stuff or anything I just know I love the hands-on feeling experience even if its just gonna be for my mixers volume and whatnot I dont care im gonna have a monitoring board that allows me to do that, even if its not necessary as long as my board isnt ''complicating'' things im going for it hahah!
Old 11-24-2017, 10:46 AM

Please listen to these two guys, they are giving you advice that a) would normally cost you hundreds of dollars an hour and, if you listen, b) will save you money and grief.

Get started with the basics: a decent mic, a good interface with mic pres and all the I/O you need now and a few extra for the future. Run Pro Tools at the lowest buffer you can - 64 is best - and you won't have any latency that bothers you. Record and mix with headphones (closed back) until you can afford room treatment and monitors. Learn what plug-ins do, there's enough that come with Pro Tools to do respectable mixes. Forget outboard processing. You get one instance for usually big money, while plug-ins allow as many instances as your computer can handle. If major league records can be done completely in the box, so can you, until such time as you have the money and really, really need something outboard.

All the other OPs and I are trying to do is get you started with minimal expenditure for maximum return. Best of luck.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Indeed. This sounds like a bad case of "I really want to run right now and I don't want to waste time learning to walk first" A basic quality interface, a decent microphone and a decent set of headphones are the bare minimum(for me) as a starting setup. Adding some "real" studio monitors would be my next purchase.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave