How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2013, 06:36 AM

Default Problem with cmd+d function

Hello

I noticed a very strange phenomena with the 'cmd + d' function (Protools 10.3.6 on Macpro Lion).

Let's say I have a bass drum clip on one audio track.
I want to duplicate it every bar, so I select the sample on one bar length and use the 'cmd +d' function several times until the end of the song (I'm in absolute grid mode).

But when I zoom in one duplicated clip start, it doesn't start right on the bar line, but few samples before, and it's worse when I zoom in the 50th duplicated clip !!

So I have to move again every clip to get them start right on the bar, which is very long and laborious ...

Any help ??

Thank you !

Juh
Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Problem with cmd+d function

That is why you should use the loop region function and not the duplicate function. Duplicate (cmd+d) has always had that issue, it's due to sample rounding or something like that. If you use the loop region function instead it will stay on the grid.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Thank you KMcK.

The problem is that I've the same problem with the Loop region function !
I consolidated my sample on one bar then extended it with F6 tool, but when I zoom in one reproduced clip it's out of the grid.
The only solution I found is to quantize clips ...

Can't believe all those gifted engineers working on new PT versions couldn't yet solve the problem.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM

The phenomenon is called sample-rounding, and can happen when you use Bars|Beats as the main time scale. I use Bars|Beats almost exclusively, and I use the selector tool (Grid mode) to select clips for duplication, type in the start/end values or Option-drag (Relative grid mode) the clips to copy them to a new location. Page 767 and 770 in the Reference guide explains this.

That being said, I may have experienced sample-rounding many times without knowing it. If I can't hear anything wrong...
Old 07-23-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
That is why you should use the loop region function and not the duplicate function. Duplicate (cmd+d) has always had that issue, it's due to sample rounding or something like that. If you use the loop region function instead it will stay on the grid.
Is there a way to stop a looped region from looping?

For example I have an 8bar-loop.
To begin with I want to loop the first two bars 4times. I do that with the loop trim tool.
Then after the 4 loops I want to extend the loop to a 4 bar loop.
Is this possible without having to look in the region bin to find the non-looped clip and pull it out of the region bin?

Thanks for any help,
Timothy
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_davies View Post
Is there a way to stop a looped region from looping?

For example I have an 8bar-loop.
To begin with I want to loop the first two bars 4times. I do that with the loop trim tool.
Then after the 4 loops I want to extend the loop to a 4 bar loop.
Is this possible without having to look in the region bin to find the non-looped clip and pull it out of the region bin?

Thanks for any help,
Timothy
Yes, you can right-click a looped clip > select Unloop... > trim it to desired length > switch back to the loop trimmer.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Thank you PT Lover.
I agree, there are not big differences, except when you duplicate dozen times several clips containing bass drums playing together, phasing problems can happen ...
Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juh View Post
Thank you PT Lover.
I agree, there are not big differences, except when you duplicate dozen times several clips containing bass drums playing together, phasing problems can happen ...
Sure, that is true.

Have you tried any of the methods I described to get around sample-rounding errors?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Yes, you can right-click a looped clip > select Unloop... > trim it to desired length > switch back to the loop trimmer.
Thanks,
Timothy
Old 07-24-2013, 04:03 AM

Yes, I tried the Repeat function is the edit menu, I tried to alt-grabb the clips and tried F6 loop mode but all of it doesn't solve the problem...