Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Default Clip Gain is your friend

I am constantly trying ways to reduce the time I spend tweaking mixes - esp when I know deep down, I've reached the point of diminishing returns. I can usually get the basic parameters of a mix set up and decent sounding within a 2-5 hour session - but the final mix has been known to take up to 3 months - this usually means about 15 hours per week tweaking. As much as I love automation, this has been a MAJOR waste of time trying to perfect and re-perfect very minor volume level tweaks - but since I have the technology sitting there in front of me, it would be a crime not to take advantage of it right? Ugh. And so it goes, the more options I have the longer it takes to finish a song.

So now I do almost zero volume automation opting to use clip gain instead. My only problem with clip gain is when you create a "clip" to adjust a small section you have the front of the clip - a cut - and the back of the clip - also a cut. If you try to manipulate clips that have been "cut" the mouse automatically assumes you want to "trim" the clip. This is 1 downside of clip gain, but the benefits for me far outweigh that small glitch.

What are your tips to save time on recording and mixing or "tricks" you use to record or mix more efficiently?

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Clip Gain is your friend

Clip gain is not always a good substitute for volume automation, since it is pre-insert. I only use clip gain to even out levels before I start mixing, and after that only on occasion. Like, when I need the compressor to work harder, instead of lowering its threshold I push up clip gain.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Clip gain is not always a good substitute for volume automation, since it is pre-insert. I only use clip gain to even out levels before I start mixing, and after that only on occasion. Like, when I need the compressor to work harder, instead of lowering its threshold I push up clip gain.
Good point. Generally once I start inserting PIs I don't use clip gain as much. I'm sure some people are good at limiting the amount of time they spend on automation, but I'm not one of them - it's an addiction for me.

Another problem w automation has been when I want to adjust a track volume at the fader for just a second to see how something would sound and it won't adjust because automation has it locked into a level. By the time I stop and turn off automation to make the adjustment the mojo of the moment is lost.

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrnplyr View Post
Another problem w automation has been when I want to adjust a track volume at the fader for just a second to see how something would sound and it won't adjust because automation has it locked into a level. By the time I stop and turn off automation to make the adjustment the mojo of the moment is lost.
Which is where a good control surface comes in - anybody know of one ?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:09 PM

I've thought about going with the control surface having been born on a mixing console and being able to chew gum and twirl a knob at the same time - it only made sense. Maybe some day, but for now, since I resisted digital for so damn long, as a form of self flagellation - I'm staying inside the box and no where else. Kind of like that twilight zone where the guy has to stay in the glass box for a year to prove he can control his talking and then you find out he had to cut his own vocal chords to win the bet...

but seriously, what better way to learn everything DAWs and PTs can do than to force yourself to use them for every possible task within reason?

Old 07-08-2013, 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=scrnplyr;2060331

Another problem w automation has been when I want to adjust a track volume at the fader for just a second to see how something would sound and it won't adjust because automation has it locked into a level. By the time I stop and turn off automation to make the adjustment the mojo of the moment is lost.[/QUOTE]

Here is a great trick I use to avoid "locking" faders into a level. I only use the "volume trim" automation and never volume automation. That way, your fader is always at the ready to be adjusted, but you can still do up to +12 dB of gain and down to -inf.

Yes, it does only give you +12 dB, but how often do you need more than that? especially on a vocal. And if you do need more you can use clip gain to help as well.

Just a thought. It's always nice to be able to move those faders whenever you want.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM

Automation without confusion (or loss of mojo). At least, this is how I have made peace with it.

Always have all the tracks in 'read' mode. (Alt-click to set them all to read). I start out a new session this way.

You can can make a change to a setting and if there is no automation it will stay there. If there is automation then you know because the knob or slider will move back when you release it.

If you like the move you made and want to burn it in. Set all the tracks to Write mode (Alt-click). Replay and do all the moves you need. Loop the play selection to do multiple moves.

If you want to retry, hit Ctrl-Z and all moves you made since you hit play are gone. Redo until you like it.

To 'burn it in' set all tracks back to read.

This has sped me up quite a bit and I don't have to think about how automation works.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Those are both great tips for making automation more palatable.

Here is a great trick I use to avoid "locking" faders into a level. I only use the "volume trim" automation and never volume automation. That way, your fader is always at the ready to be adjusted, but you can still do up to +12 dB of gain and down to -inf.

Yes, it does only give you +12 dB, but how often do you need more than that? especially on a vocal. And if you do need more you can use clip gain to help as well.

Just a thought. It's always nice to be able to move those faders whenever you want.

Ok, cool I'm gonna try this today - great work around...but if I get hooked on automation again (like I was hooked on fonix) then I'll be mixing these 4 damn songs for another 3 years!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Brilliant!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM

A quick response to one of the OP's concerns regarding the hard right-angles on the boundaries of a clip where clip gain has been used:

Just toss on some cross fades! The clip gain transition may be a right-angle, but now you're ramping smoothly between the clips with 0dB of clip gain adjustment and the clip with any + or - dB clip gain adjustments. Works like a dream!

And automation is definitely your friend Although I too wish that there was a good AND affordable control surface out there! My home setup doesn't need a $30,000 D-Command, and even the Artist series is still really expensive.