Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Default Protools 10 HDX installed, no sound from computer

Hello all. Newbie here. I had a Logic system with an Apogee Rossetta until yesterday. I just had Protools 10 HDX installed and now I can't hear any of the regular computer sounds (iTunes, you tube, etc.) from the speakers like I used to with the Apogee. I hear the protools music fine, but none of the regular computer sounds. I tried to reach the company that installed it but they are closed on the weekends.

I tried going to system prefs and under "sound" tried and tried every option but the only time I get sound is if I choose "internal speakers" and then it sounds like it is coming out of a hearing aid inside the Mac Pro tower.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Protools 10 HDX installed, no sound from computer

What I/O...?
Pro Tools needs to be off for core audio manager to work (HD card systems)
If you have an Omni you can rout Mac audio via digital (If your using the monitor aspect of the omni).
This is such a flaw that's been around and discussed deeply.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
What I/O...?
Pro Tools needs to be off for core audio manager to work (HD card systems)
If you have an Omni you can rout Mac audio via digital (If your using the monitor aspect of the omni).
This is such a flaw that's been around and discussed deeply.
OK, thank you. I have the AVID I/O unit.
When I close ProTools I still can't hear my itunes. That does seem like a flaw...seems weird that for $15 grand I can't hear iTunes while I am recording. My rosetta let me do that all the time. This HDX is supposed to be so much better than Logic but that seems like a big screwup to me.

Thank you for the fast response.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:18 PM

With Pro tools not running, Open your sound control panel and choose the Avid-HDX for output.
launch any core app....and Avid Core-Audio will launch in the background.
Enjoy.
For simplicity and Core audio while in pro tools I use a MOTU 896 and an audio switcher.
or mixer summing.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
With Pro tools not running, Open your sound control panel and choose the Avid-HDX for output.
launch any core app....and Avid Core-Audio will launch in the background.
Enjoy.
For simplicity and Core audio while in pro tools I use a MOTU 896 and an audio switcher.
or mixer summing.
OK, thanks for the info. I will try that. I will ask the protools guy if he can hook up that motu and switcher for me.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:50 PM

I asked a some what similar question a while ago and the answer I got was use core audio. But like somebody already said I don't think you can play I tunes and record in PT at the same time. Import or drag and drop files into your session.
In mac prefs/sound you have to have pci HDX selected. then launch core audio to hear I tunes through your monitors. Of coarse your interface has to be on as well. Don't launch PT if your still in core audio it will make you restart the program. If you just want to hear your computer not through HDX card select something different in the mac prefs. I am no expert so this is probably nothing new for you but just incase you didn't know already .
Old 08-18-2012, 06:12 PM

OK.. now more problems. For some reason...the singer can not hear anything through the headphones in the live room. I am really starting to regret changing from Logic to Pro Tools but I guess there is a learning curve. I think it would be best if I hired someone to come over and teach me all this stuff before I put my fist through one of the monitors.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 AM

Do have someone experienced come over and build your infrastructure.
i.e. how many cue sends r needed (independent), Monitor controller/console all there without a guess. Here we only hear a bit of this and that which make for speculative comments.

Yes a Logic to Pro Tools curve will be there but when your system works your flow will rise.

---
Regarding my switcher. It's an old THX CC4, 4-5.1 inputs with 2 sets of outputs for meters and main volume controller.

Coleman-audio, Dangerous and others make new components depending on your task.

Comes down to your monitor controller at some point. The HD I/O is just that, and input/output converter.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Do have someone experienced come over and build your infrastructure.
Anyone in Southern CA out there that does this?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Jam View Post
OK.. now more problems. For some reason...the singer can not hear anything through the headphones in the live room. I am really starting to regret changing from Logic to Pro Tools but I guess there is a learning curve. I think it would be best if I hired someone to come over and teach me all this stuff before I put my fist through one of the monitors.
You might want to avail yourself of some of the different learning systems out there. There's all kinds of books and dvd's on learning to work with PT. You're going to be working in it for a long time and it's best you learn how to. Someone coming over and explaining things is nice when you get stuck but that person won't be around all the time when you have sessions going on or won't be available 24/7 for support.

I originally started on Cakewalk Sonar before moving over to PT. Sure I knew a lot of stuff on recording but not a lot of what I learned about Sonar was directly applicable to PT. Books, dvd's and the DUC helped me to get going (and keep going). Another good learning source is the manual/user's guide pdf for PT itself. If you have a good basic knowledge (which you say you have) then what I mentioned should keep you going in fine style.

QAPLA!