Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Default Macbook Pro and Pro Tools LE 8.0.4

Hi All,

Quick question, or request for advice really.

I'm thinking of integrating some backing track stuff into my band and am considering using Pro Tools live with a Macbook Pro (which i'm yet to commit to) and my current Mbox 2.

My first question is about installing Pro Tools 8 on another machine. I assume i'm ok installing PT on another machine being that I can only use one copy at a time because of the fact I only have 1 audio interface?

Another question, which might sound a bit thick, but here goes! I originally received my MBox 2 with 7.4, then got the free upgrade to version 8. I have then subsequently downloaded the various updates to the current 8.0.4. If i get a new Macbook, it will come with Snow Leopard. If I am able to use my current Pro Tools setup on the new machine, how do I go about this? Do I start with the 7.4 install and then update as i did on my iMac, or do the PT updates (e.g. 8.0.3 etc) install 'all' of Pro Tools, or do they just update what's already there?

One more! So, any advice on which Macbook to go for? I understand i'll need an external FW drive to run the sessions! I also won't be running the Virtual instruments live, I'll be bouncing them down to audio to keep the demands on the machine down!

Any opinions/thoughts are extremely gratefully received!

Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Macbook Pro and Pro Tools LE 8.0.4

1. Yes, multiple installs OK
2. No, do not install 7.4 at all. Start with 8 and update to 8.0.4
3. Buy the fastest one you can afford. Get a fast internal drive (7200 rpm or even ssd). It will make the machine response snappier. Make sure the External drive you choose is compatible with PT (oxford chipset, etc.)
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
1. Yes, multiple installs OK
2. No, do not install 7.4 at all. Start with 8 and update to 8.0.4
3. Buy the fastest one you can afford. Get a fast internal drive (7200 rpm or even ssd). It will make the machine response snappier. Make sure the External drive you choose is compatible with PT (oxford chipset, etc.)
Flommer!

Great thanks for the quick reply! With regards the install, so I just use the update to version 8 i downloaded from Digi?

Re: the Macbook, as I thought! I'm trying to do this as cheap as I can though! Are the standard Macbooks good enough for this? (The white ones!) Or do I really need a Macbook Pro?

Once again, big thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM

You need a macbook pro for the simple fact that the regular macbook does not have a firewire port, which you will need for your firewire hard drive, and in the future if you decide to get a 003, mbox pro 2, etc.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You need a macbook pro for the simple fact that the regular macbook does not have a firewire port, which you will need for your firewire hard drive, and in the future if you decide to get a 003, mbox pro 2, etc.
Great, thanks for that, just the info I needed! That is what I thought might be the case! And I am planning on getting a 003 at some point..........advice greatly recieved sir!