Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Swiching to Logic because not happy with PT7

They say that ignorance is bliss.

After all the recent posting about disappointment with the launch of 7.0 and the endless threats to switch to Logic I thought I would find out what all the fuss is about, so I did something some of you might think mad... I went out and bought a copy of Logic.

As I say you may think this is extreme, but in my experience what the glossy brochures, Flash driven web demos and product reviews are often not always reality and actually getting the product home, installing it and then using it in a real life scenario are the only real test.

OK:
Installed the DVD and started an install, on first boot it crashed due to some AU plugin problems - 3 times!
Not the end of the world but slightly annoying, it wouldn't actually let me eject the install DVD for some mad reason and I had to reboot my Mac to get the b******d out!
The audio interface once set up kept breaking up and giving me digital distortion.

Anyway once all those matters were overcome, I had a crack at doing some work with it. I used to be a C-Lab Notator user back in the '80's and in fact was one of C-Lab's demonstators in the UK and very quickly I could see that it still had remnants of it's early days.

So I was quickly able to figure out how the thing works and get on making some music.

YOU CAN KEEP IT!

It didn't take long once the wow factor of the pretty graphics and cute icons of instruments to wear off before I realized that if you want lots of bells and whistles, lots of gadgets and endless tinkering then you need to get Logic, yes you even get lots of audio tracks... but don't be seduced!

However if you want a great sound, rock solid performance, easy intuative operation and to get the job done well in the shortest possible time then stick with Protools, even with it's reduced track count and missing virtual instruments, trust me Garageband and the other VI's are great if you want to produce MIDI backing tracks, but I want people to take my music seriously.

So I'll keep the copy I have, just to remind me that the grass isn't as green on the other side and the sheep who keep bleating it is should go and find pastures new!

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Swiching to Logic because not happy with PT7

I took 5 2 hour classes in Logic last year as part of a course.

I was BAMBOOZLED by the layout, structure and user interface.

I HATED IT!! So completely illogical.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 10-12-2005, 01:45 AM

wow

Why keep it if you wont use it? Seems like a waste of money...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 AM

Quote:
wow

Now this a very interesting question and highlights what seems to be an inconsistancy on the forum.

If those who are whinging about PTLE are pro-musicians then time is money, some of them have spent hours on here berating Digi about what's wrong with the product so this is a waste of their money too.

More importantly how can I say that PT is better than Logic if I haven't actually put my money where my mouth is?

If some have tried alternatives and switched for good then why are they still in this forum going on about what's wrong with PTLE?

Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 AM

FYI : Logic is pretty kick***** and it would be a good idea in this day and age to take the time to learn both. Each has thier merits.

-Scott
Old 10-12-2005, 02:40 AM

Quote:
FYI : Logic is pretty kick***** and it would be a good idea in this day and age to take the time to learn both. Each has thier merits.

-Scott
I'm sure it is but I wouldn't spend weeks in a Logic forum going on about how bad it was. I'd work with what I had bought or find an alternative.

You missed the point entirely. We were being challenged as PTLE users to consider it's shortcomings and many used Logic as the benchmark, I decided to take them at their word and found the hype to be less than the reality... I wonder if they have the courage of their convictions to do the same?

Old 10-12-2005, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, good to know another program. I use DP though. Much prefer it to Logic, but there are equal numbers that prefer Logic to DP.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 10-12-2005, 02:56 AM

Russ, I got your point about how the Grass really isn't all that greener on the other side of the fence.

I guess I'm suggesting don't throw away that copy of logic yet. Trust me it is worth the effort to learn the software (Yes, I will go on record as saying it has one of the hardest learning curves I have ever experienced... DAMN that software is confusing once you get into it deeply)

Cheers,
Scott
Old 10-12-2005, 03:38 AM

I don't tend to 'throw things away' that I've spent money on. That would be a waste of money.

FYI it is quite a fun piece of software, although I agree the endess screens on it make it a nightmare to navigate, Apple creating a feature to create set-ups of environments is tant amount to an admission on that!

PROs:
Loops
Fun
Good creative sketch pad

CONs:
Complicated UI
Poor audio environment

In fact the things I hate about it are all the reasons I bought PTLE and that's why I don't spend hours whinging about PTLE, if I wanted Logic, DP or Cubase I'd buy it, I settled for PTLE and that's why I can’t for the life of me figure why those who did the same keep going on about what it isn't!

Man walks into a grocer’s store:
Man: Hi there do you sell fruit?
Store owner: Yes what would you like?
Man: I'm not sure, can I try some?
Owner: Of course, help yourself.
Man: Mmmm nice apple, nice orange, nice banana... I think I'll take the apple.
2 days later
Man: Hey I was in here the other day and bought this apple.
Owner: is there a problem?
Man: Yes it tastes like an apple
Owner: That's because it is an apple
Man: But I want it to taste like an orange and look like a banana.
Owner: Well it won't, it's an apple!
Man: Well the orange taste like and orange...
Owner: That's because it is an orange!
Man: But why can't the apple taste like an orange?
Owner: Errr because it's an apple.
Man: But that's not what I want!
Owner: I'll tell you what I'm a reasonable man, why don't I give you your money back and you can buy something else that more suits you?
Man: I'll tell you what that's not the answer I want, in fact I'm sure you won't make this apple taste like an orange cause if you did then I wouldn't need to buy your lettuce!
Owner thinks for a moment... 'which is easier, blowing my brains out or his?'
Man: You've not heard the last of this, I'm going to come back with all the other apple owners you've cheated!

Old 10-12-2005, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
wow

Now this a very interesting question and highlights what seems to be an inconsistancy on the forum.

If those who are whinging about PTLE are pro-musicians then time is money, some of them have spent hours on here berating Digi about what's wrong with the product so this is a waste of their money too.

More importantly how can I say that PT is better than Logic if I haven't actually put my money where my mouth is?

If some have tried alternatives and switched for good then why are they still in this forum going on about what's wrong with PTLE?
I agree you cannot make meaningful comparisons unless you try both platforms.

Your posts have sounded like after doing the comparison you have decided that you wont be using Logic though, so i questioned why not take it back and get a refund and use the money for something you will actually use?