How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 12:27 AM

Default Mid-2015 Macbook 15 inch Fan Noise

Hello,

I just recently picked up a new macbook to run pro tools on. I'm currently on version 12.2.1 with OS X 10.10.4. Whenever I do anything in pro tools when I'm connected to my external monitor the fans get really loud (even with the just the laptop in use the computer heats up a lot in all of these circumstances). I have the GPU on this computer so I know that that could contribute to the heat but i'm not sure if that's the main problem. It doesn't matter if there are plug ins or not. Multi track recording, fans. Playback of just raw tracks, fans. I also use Logic X and even after a full mix with he same setup of interfaces and external monitor my computer is silent. I know they are made by separate companies and one is most likely more fine tuned for the computer but it seems like a huge difference. Is this normal? Does anyone here have this model and can tell me how it runs on their computer? Thanks for any help!
Old 12-05-2015, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Mid-2015 Macbook 15 inch Fan Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler322 View Post
Hello,

I just recently picked up a new macbook to run pro tools on. I'm currently on version 12.2.1 with OS X 10.10.4. Whenever I do anything in pro tools when I'm connected to my external monitor the fans get really loud (even with the just the laptop in use the computer heats up a lot in all of these circumstances). I have the GPU on this computer so I know that that could contribute to the heat but i'm not sure if that's the main problem. It doesn't matter if there are plug ins or not. Multi track recording, fans. Playback of just raw tracks, fans. I also use Logic X and even after a full mix with he same setup of interfaces and external monitor my computer is silent. I know they are made by separate companies and one is most likely more fine tuned for the computer but it seems like a huge difference. Is this normal? Does anyone here have this model and can tell me how it runs on their computer? Thanks for any help!
I'd love to hear someone chime in on this. I have a mid 2014, and it's an absolute beast in terms of specs, yet, my computer fans go ape $h*t with the session showing system usage of around 28-30%. Doesn't seem like that should happen, or no?
Old 12-09-2015, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Mid-2015 Macbook 15 inch Fan Noise

I use the SMC fan control application. It gives you control over the fan speed and also shows the temp. Free to download and use.