Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Default unable to locate M-Audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on

So I have had pro tools for a few years, but my computer crashed and I had to reinstall everything. Anyway, after I reinstalled it, I cannot open it. I get this message:

"unable to locate M-Audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on"

Everything is connected, I just downloaded this update driver thing from the website, so I dont know what to do. Can anyone help me out?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 AM

Default Re: SEX!!! - Now that I have your attention, can you please HELP ME?!

What kinda OS are you running.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicore View Post
what kinda os are you running.
osex

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-10-2009, 04:26 PM

haha, well I have a dell XPS 1210, with windows xp professional and service pack 3. its an intel core. Thats all the info I can think of. Thanks so much for any help.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 AM

Pro Tools M-Powered usually will say that when other applications are open. Make sure EVERYTHING is closed then try. If it doesn't work, restart the computer without opening up ANYTHING, BUT PRO TOOLS. I've seen that message a hundred times before, it can't recognize your audio/ midi interface because it's "distracted" by other applications. ESPECIALLY "distracted" by the internet..
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM

When you "reinstalled everything", did you install the updated drivers for your hardware from the MAudio site?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM

I tried opening it with no programs open, but it still doesn't work. And I recently downloaded the update driver package, so I am pretty sure I have that. Yikes this really sucks.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Have you ever hot plugged your m audio interface? This can cause irreversible damage to the FW port on your unit or your computer.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Re: unable to locate M-Audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turne

What exactly is "hot plugging"?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Re: unable to locate M-Audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turne

Plugging the firewire cable in while either the m audio unit or your computer or both are on. They should both be off while plugging in your firewire cable, M Audio recommends this in the manuals and installation steps. If it doesn't work in a different firewire port on your computer you may need to replace the firewire port on your m audio unit. You should have the firewire port checked.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK