Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 02:55 PM

Default Upgrade Question

Hola all. For any of you who may remember, I was pretty active on the DUC years ago. Now I drop a line every now and then to ask a question about my archaic system consisting of G4 dual 450, PT LE 5.1 and OS 9.0.4. Well, after years of remaining stagnant, I've decided it's time to start upgrading and catching up with some of you.
I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and getting Panther, then start upgrading my PT version. My question is, will I have trouble getting 5.1 and Panther to run well together on a dual G4 450? The reason I've stuck with what I had for so long is because I had a system that worked absolutely flawlessly. I kinda need to stability still.
What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Bounce
Old 02-06-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Upgrade Question

If I were you, I'd keep the system you have. You're probably going to notice a slowdown going to OSX on your machine, even though you have dual processors. The fact that you have an older system bus, graphics card, hard drive and memory limits will inhibit your OSX experience. That's not to say it won't work, but if what you've got now is stable and doing what you need, then don't change it. If you want to check out OSX (which is great) for other purposes, then you can install it without it messing up your current OS9 system and see how it performs with general tasks before trying out PT. My guess is that you'll find it a little lagging in responsiveness though, so you'll be best in OS9. I'd look at upgrading to OS 9.2.2 though, and the latest version of PT that runs on it for your hardware - 9.2.2 was extremely stable, and the versions of PT that run on it offer some significant improvements over 5.1.

Slim
Old 02-07-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Upgrade Question

I (had) a DP40. My upgrade experience is with Jaguar, not Panther. Regardless, OSX finally acknowledged the Dual Processor and I felt the speed up. Likewise, PTLE 6+ takes advantage of a dual processor. I enjoyed an OX response improvement as well as track count/plug-in increase. I have a lot of RAM, which helps OS response. For the definitive utilization of your computer consider processor upgrades, video card upgrades, and firewire or ATA card based drives. Or not. But do try OSX.