Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2002, 07:08 AM

Default Can A Room Be To Dead ?

I recently moved facility and I have to admit I know nothing about room acoustics.

I have a funny feeling the room is to dead. sure stuff sounds good in the room but I cant detect any ambience in the room whatsover and I am finding my ears are becoming tired much quicker than usual.

Is there something I could do to check if the room is to dead sounding?
Old 07-06-2002, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Can A Room Be To Dead ?

If just speaking sounds weird / self conscious in the room, then the room is ****** / too dead.

Also, if you are talking to yourself you should see a psychiatrist.

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 07-06-2002, 09:18 AM

Any chance of elaborating?. The room shas been treated with dampening materials (sorry dont know what, but it aint egg boxes). The room sounds like any other (i Think) control room I have been in but somethings not right. I know this because my ears become tired to quickly, and I seem to mix at much higher volume than I use to. Could this be because the room has to much dampening.

And I'm not seeing dead people yet

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 09:59 AM

might be that the dampening materials only affect high frequencies, where it normally is the low and low-mids that cause most room problems. its a very common mistake to suck out all highs cause it gives an illusion of a room that is dead when in fact it is really not, and a dead room is really not what you want for a control room.

/mike
Old 07-06-2002, 11:18 AM

I think you might be right bob. The lows and the mids seem to be ok (no bouncing bass around the room). So if the problem is the highs, do you or anyone else have any suggestions.

Would it be as easily as removing some of the acoustic tiles (the ones for the highs).

I mean I dont want to start stripping down walls. DIY never was my strong point.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:50 AM

I mean I dont want to start stripping down walls. DIY never was my strong point.[/QB][/QUOTE]

And neither is audio judging by this post and your other ridiculous post on Cubase [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 01:06 PM

Like Sdevino said............have someone come shoot your room of white and pink noise
and also what's important is to get a room eq. I use a "white" dual digital eq in my room on the big monitors! (Quested) There are more affordable eqs like a rane parametric ....so on & so on. This should help your unbalanced (hi-end) sound in your room. Acoustical padding is a must also.........eq'ing dosen't do it by itself!!

$.02

OH YEAh DR.CRIVE ........"whoa" on your response!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 03:15 PM

my stone/live room is oka, but my control room has the same behavior and is bad at low mids... 120/155 I imagine.
Getting rid of sonex, carpets, curtains.. any other idea?the dimensions are quite ka

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 07-06-2002, 08:57 PM

Is the front wall and floor reflective? How big is the room? Is there bass traps? Is the speakers flush in the front wall or up on a console?

If it's a small room the best thing is to keep the floor and front wall reflective and absorb everythingelse..... Letting the sound pass your ears once...use bass traps and duffusion arrays [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2002, 10:08 PM

Tom, might I send you a private email with some questions and a sketch of the place?
thanks
[email protected]

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.