Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2002, 08:24 AM

Default I\'m sure this isn\'t possible, but.....

I'm sure this is not possible, but I wanted to see what you thought. Pro Tools 5.0 LE only utilizes one of the two processors on the G4. There are enough slots on a G4 to put another card for another 001 system on the same computer. Is it possible at all to somehow configure the Mac such that you could be running two 001 systems, one off of each processor?
I'm sure this has been asked in the forum before, but I don't have time to search right now.

Thanks,

Bounce
Old 05-01-2002, 08:36 AM

Default Re: I\'m sure this isn\'t possible, but.....

No and why would you? need more I/O? use an A/D convertor and get 8 more channels of analog I/O into the digi001 via the adat optical connection. I use an adat for my 8 more channels of I/O. and unless you are running a dual processor aware app then it isnt going to know what to do with another processor so even adding another digi001 and running another instance of Pro Tools will not help. anyways you'll get a dae is already opened error or something to that effect. what cha trying to do? ya just tweakin? It's cool. we love to brainstorm here
Old 05-02-2002, 10:16 AM

I figured it wouldn't. Basically, I need more than 24 tracks on a pretty regular basis, but don't have the cash for a whole other computer or anything. So I've been racking my brain trying to figure how to get more tracks for little money. A friend of mine's trying to get me to switch over to logic, but I'm really not interested in learning a new program.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:54 AM

Its just the way it is; you can't have more than 24 tracks. If you need them on a regular basis, your friend is correct; switch to Logic.

I often run a primary and secondary session; when the primary is full, I submix the rhythm instruments into stereo, the melody into stereo and the vocals into a mono group. I load these into the secondary session and track against the submixies for the additional tracks. Then I mix on a TDM machine and just import the additional tracks from the secondary session. If you dont have that option; switch to Logic.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:22 PM

Bounce down!!!!!!!!

The number of possible tracks is almost unlimited if you simply bounce down. There is nothing technically or sonically inferior about using this age old technique. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2002, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. I kinda do a combo of all those. I'll often take the 8 drum mic tracks and the four or five vocals and bring them into another session, do what I need to with them there, work the other tracks in the other session, bounce down, and then put them all back together again. It's just very time consuming and it's a pain when I put them all back together and find that a level needs to be tweaked. Oh well, it's a rough life we all lead, I suppose!
Old 05-03-2002, 03:40 PM

"it's a pain "....

amen brother. Thought I had left hose days behind with analog tape....
Old 05-04-2002, 07:10 PM

Use Nuendo. It sees the 001 via asio drivers and it allows more than 24 tracks.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Use Nuendo. It sees the 001 via asio drivers and it allows more than 24 tracks.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, and the ASIO only lets you use two ins and two outs on the 001. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2002, 02:22 AM

Bounce88, I suggest you look into getting Logic Audio. I use it with my Dig001 and get 96 stereo audio tracks.

6am eternal