Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 AM

Default iloc zero downtime...are they kidding?

well my ilok finally broke . just fell apart..so i started the rma process..i have zero downtime. not only did i have to buy a new ilok but i must purchase a new zero downtime subscription for it..they won't transfer it..also it may take longer to process than the temporary licenses are ..this must be some kind of joke..here is the email they sent me...
Here are the specifics of your RMA:

You agree that the iLok nominated for RMA will not be used in the future.
Your iLok is covered by Zero Downtime so we will provide you with temporary licenses. You may download these licenses from your iLok.com account to an iLok.
We can only provide temporary licenses for those licenses known to us from your last synchronize with iLok.com.
Note that as per our terms and conditions, Zero Downtime coverage for your RMA'd iLok will be terminated and cannot be transferred to another iLok. If you wish to cover another iLok with Zero Downtime, you must purchase a new Zero Downtime coverage for that iLok.
It may take up to two business weeks for us to process your RMA.
Before we can issue you permanent replacement licenses, we must receive and process your iLok.
We cannot provide extensions to the temporary license periods. In order to avoid downtime, you must provide us with your iLok as soon as possible.
Once the RMA process has started, it is irreversible. This means that you must send your iLok to us, even if it starts working again.
We will automatically provide your contact information (including your name, account ID, and e-mail address), plus details regarding the replacement process to the software vendors associated with the lost licenses. This will be done regardless of your profile privacy settings
Old 07-01-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Re: iloc zero downtime...are they kidding?

what's the problem?

we all know that ZDT is for one iLok.

they tell you to have an empty ilok sitting around just in case.

you did the right thing... you bought zdt. so SIMPLY go through the process...

1. put your temp licenses on your empty ilok (you're up and running)
2. send in your old ilok via RMA.
3. When your original ilok comes back, you still have your spare.

You got what you paid for -- zero down time (well, almost zero -- it probably took you 10 minutes to download the auths and put the old ilok in a padded envelope)

Is it the one-time nature of the ZDT program? That you'll have to pay $30 again for the replacement iLok?

When you consider the value of our assets, $30 is nothing to be worried about. I don't want to hear the guy who owns a Ferrari bitching about the cost of an oil change.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:46 AM

from ilok.com:

Quote:
Here's how Zero Downtime works:

Sign up for Zero Downtime coverage for each critical iLok you own. You also purchase spare iLoks as needed for emergency.

When a covered iLok breaks or is lost or stolen, log in to iLok.com and go through the RMA process for the affected iLok.

iLok.com automatically deposits time limited temporary licenses in your account.

Using iLok.com, you download the temporary licenses onto a spare iLok. You can now continue to work using these temporary licenses.

You send us the broken iLok.

Once we've validated the broken iLok, we provide you with permanent replacement licenses in your iLok.com account.

You put the replacement licenses on your spare iLok. You now have a complete replacement of your licenses.

If the iLok was defective and under warranty, we send you a blank replacement. You can use the replacement as your spare if you like.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:05 AM

got it! so i need two iloks at all times..when one goes down i need to purchase another to be my main or spare ..pay for a new zdt subscription for one of the iloks..then i am back in business.after contacting waves for re-authorization. sounds fair..!
Old 07-01-2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
well my ilok finally broke . just fell apart..so i started the rma process..i have zero downtime. not only did i have to buy a new ilok but i must purchase a new zero downtime subscription for it..they won't transfer it..also it may take longer to process than the temporary licenses are ..this must be some kind of joke..here is the email they sent me...

I know...no one wants to pay for a support call, and no one wants to buy a new ZDT subscription. I was forced to do this almost immediately after going TDM, and the thought of it irked me.

But it turned out to be one of the most refreshing experiences I've had in a while. To make a long story short, I could not get my ilok to sync on my G5. It didn't stop me from authorizing PT or my plugins, though, as I later found I could sync on my PC and then plug the ilok into my G5 right afterwards. So I whipped out the credit card and emailed PACE. Before I knew it was a G5 problem I RMA'd the ilok. The ZDT process went very smoothly.

As for the troubleshooting, I am still amazed. These people were on it in a big way. Daily contact for several weeks until this obscure problem was fixed. And i do mean obscure. I could not find a single report anywhere of a problem similar to the one I was experiencing. It took a lot of time and effort on their part but they stuck to their side of the deal. I got more than my money's worth, and I never lost a single day. They made sure my plugins were available, even though I procrastinated sending my ilok out during that 2 week RMA period.

The "tech" assigned to my case was extremely well-mannered and friendly. As you might imagine, we became working friends over the 2 month period this all took place. He was a good-natured, down to earth guy with a great sense of humor, and I thought he almost worked too hard on my behalf. But the guy was dedicated.

After asking him once why he was still working on this on a Saturday evening, he emailed back and told me that his interest in the company was a little more than average.

The "tech" was Allen Cronce, PACE's founder. Apparently he is on the support staff rotation. So be nice. He sent me a nice gift for my trouble. I got an iPod Photo in the mail a week or two later with an engraved inscription on it from PACE, along with some multi-colored iloks (woohooo!).

I think a lot of the company and the people there now, having had the pleasure of doing business with them. They've got class and dedication. They sure work hard at improving their products and developing new ones.

None of this has any specific application to your particular problem, mixer. But in general, you might consider looking at what you get from PACE, too. Besides lower software prices. I would give them a chance to perform for you. They are definitely not out to steal your money.

Best of luck.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: ilok zero downtime...are they kidding?

Quote:
after contacting waves for re-authorization
well, that's a whole different scenario!

I haven't been through a waves ilok failure, but if you've taken the advice of the masses, your waves auths will be on their own ilok. you will have to contact waves to see how they will handle a failed ilok. Waves does not offer, nor do they participate in ilok.com ZDT, so if your waves auths are on a failed ZDT ilok, you are somewhat out of luck... you will get your auths back eventually (through RMA process), but no way for instant auths. HOWEVER, if the waves auths are on their own ilok, then a) your ilok that failed with everything else will not be a factor; b) if your waves ilok fails, you have everything but still working; c) you have a better shot of getting Waves to fix an ilok with ONLY their auths on it.

So, this means pros who use waves need at least 3, if not 4 iloks:

1. primary "protools" ilok
2. waves ilok
3. spare blank ilok (just in case for ZDT)
4. 2nd spare blank ilok, just in case 1 & 2 go down at once (what if a USB hub sends an voltage spike to the usb devices? what if the model rocket that the ilOk is attached to goes into geosynchronous orbit and the ilok in fact does not work upon re-entry?)

I have mixed feelings about waves not being part of ilok.com, because on one hand, I respect waves customer service and always have exceptional results when i have to contact them, and I know they will fix any problems... however, there is something reassuring about "one-stop-shopping" with iLok.com, and ZDT. One less phone call and email trail if something should happen.

hey, I'm running plugs valued at more than the cost of some new cars, so what's an extra $39 dongle sitting on the shelf?

And for what it's worth, many people have NEVER paid for an ilok... I received iLoks with the following purchases:

1. Mix3 (plugin bundle)
2. HD3 (plugin bundle)
3. MachFive
4. MassivePack

I'm sure many people have more than this... thanks to ilok.com, I moved my assets around to just 1 ilok, and then waves only on #2, and i have 2 empty iloks

So - just do your oil change and pay the mechanic.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:02 AM

have to tell you waves called me right back and gave me authorization for my hard drive..great service...will transfer to new ilok as soon as i want..they were very nice.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:44 PM

Say, anybody know how I can buy stock in iLok? It looks like they're making a KILLING and I want some of that also!

They're selling four or five iLok to everybody that uses the system, you pay when nothing happens to your iLok, you pay when it breaks, and you pay when you have to replace the ZDT on your replacement iLok, oh and don't froget the liscence fees they get paid by all the developers to code their software to use their system.

Mmmm...BOY! I can already see the bucks rolling in!

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 07-02-2005, 07:08 AM

Quote:
They sure work hard at improving their products and developing new ones.

None of this has any specific application to your particular problem, mixer. But in general, you might consider looking at what you get from PACE, too. Besides lower software prices. I would give them a chance to perform for you. They are definitely not out to steal your money.

Best of luck.
the only problem i have with the system is the cheap ilok itself. i would personally pay more for a better made product. some of the newer usb storage dongles are a lot better made....that loose usb male connect is really just a time bomb.other than that it's a great concept .
Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 PM

You're not suggesting that they actually ENGINEERED the iLok to have to be replaced, thus costing their customers more money are you?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One