Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 AM

Default MOTU Audio Express... any experience?

Currently I have a saffire pro 40 but personally I want something a little smaller for small mobile projects that just involve my rap projects. I considered the Scarlet or however they spell it, but heard some bad things about it I am not willing to risk. I first wanted a baby face but I have decided I'd rather save some money and get the MOTU Audio Express. Mainly I want to have different pres and conversion quality to be able to compare and have the option if i do notice a difference as well.

My main question is how has it treated you with Pro Tools 10? if anyone has this interface I am interested in knowing about your experience with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Re: MOTU Audio Express... any experience?

Just got my Audio Express in the mail today. Fired it up with PT10 (on Lion) over FW - bus powered only, so far. No problems whatsoever.

I had been having issues with an M-Audio FW device on Lion - anything else on the FW bus would cause massive issues. This MOTU box seems rock solid. Made an aggregated device with this and my mbox2 mini and that performed flawlessly, as well (just want to use the mbox preamp for a talkback mic).

Still just initial impressions, but I'm very pleased so far. Haven't gotten into the pre's yet - although I'm not expecting anything earth shattering at this price point. My experience with the MOTU boxes has always been that they're pretty transparent.

It should also be noted that I'm on an older early-08 MacBook Pro w/ 4 gigs of RAM. PT is set to run on 1 core with 85%. PT10 is faster than 9 was on this system. No problem or dropouts running Ivory 2 and Waves IR1 in a test session at a 64 buffer setting.
http://www.BrentFrederickMusic.com
Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Default Re: MOTU Audio Express... any experience?

Following up - I tracked a session today in PT10 with the Audio Express. Pleased with the quality of the converters - really rock solid performance. Entire session ran with ZERO crashes or PT errors.

Really happy with the investment (both PT10 and the Audio Express). This is the best Pro Tools has ever run on my system (almost a 4-year old MacBook Pro).
http://www.BrentFrederickMusic.com