Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 AM

Default Sample based or Tick based?

Regarding tick/sample based, is there any reason to work mainly in one over the other. I know to use elastic audio it has to be in tick based.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Sample based or Tick based?

I could be wrong, but I think Sample based has to do with audio files since they are waves, and Tick has to do with MIDI information because it is data.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 03-06-2009, 08:31 AM

I like the music. The crash cymbals in Snowshoes get a bit loud and distracting to me. On Back Bay, the acoustic sounds kind of non-distinct(maybe what you wanted, or maybe the fault of mp3 conversion). Mixes in general feel to me like they need more bass guitar in relation to the bass drum. The open hat parts are really different in certain parts(I prefer straight 8th notes to keep a beat moving but, hey, its your music so take everything I say with a grain of salt). On "If you really Say...", in the breakdown section the lead vocal gets lost. Same thing in Channel Surfing. See if you can get a friend to sing with you on the BGV's to add a little color(have another voice double each part that you sing). Hope I don't sound mean! Just offering suggestions.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Albee, thanks a lot for your kind words and constructive criticism. My problem recently is with my acoustic material, since I'm literally recording in a bedroom in an apartment, usually at night. I try hanging blankets near the windows to kill rflections and such, but eh. Also, I know the best way to get a good sounding vocal mix is to have a great performance (can't they ALWAYS be great? haha) but that's part of the same problem. I don't have the tools to really isolate or sing to my exact range sometimes. I understand they are very rough demos (all drums were done with BFD haha). Basically, thanks for your 2 cents.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Avid

Did you read the section in the manual on the difference between the two?

Tick based tracks move with session tempo, changing their actual position in time, while sample based tracks do not. Whether you work 'mainly' in one or the other depends on what you're trying to do.

For example - let's say I had a 4 bar section of audio that started at 1 minute into the session and that 1 minute mark just happened to fall at the beginning of bar 8. If I want to change the tempo of the session and keep that region at bar 8, I would set the track to ticks. If, however I wanted to change the tempo but keep the region at the 1 minute mark, I would use samples.

Does that help?
Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up Re: Sample based or Tick based?

C'mon man.... if I had read the section of the manual that describes the difference between the two would I be on here asking stupid questions?

ok... all kidding aside. I did know those differences. Maybe, I was asking the wrong question. I was wondering if there was a reason for working mainly in one over the other - besides the time/tempo difference.

But, I guess that is the only difference between them. I need to default to tick based. I have never needed to hit a specific time. Only concerned with tempos.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
Let me know what you think of my work...any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hey J, Are you aware that your sig is an automatic hijack of any thread you post to? Maybe put your email in there and ask people to reply to that address instead of replying within the thread?

Just sayin'...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 PM

The other thing about ticks and sample track base is that elastic audio only works on tick based. But you can always just switch back and forth. I think time based tends to be more for post guys, and ticks is for music production.
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 03-07-2009, 02:17 PM

Zactly! And I'm a music guy. So, I need to change my default settings.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Wait.... is there a way to default all new tracks to ticks mode? Following a laughably superficial search of prefs I can't find one.