Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Compressing after compressing ..

Dunno if anyone has suggested it or not but you could try 'gain riding' the
vocal track with the fader. After a few passes you get a feel for the dynamics
of the track, then record the fader rides as automation. This will help even
things out and then you could try using a compressor to catch the peaks.

It will of course work best with a hardware controller,but could be done
with a mouse if you are slick enough. You could also try the Waverider
plugin as well. Then all you'd have to do is tweak the automation curves
afterward. It sound like a lot,but it could be worth it if it means getting
that great vocal track.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 PM

Another kudo for doing great work with the least amount of hardware. I got to thinking about what I do with lead vocals and thought I would toss more ideas out for consideration. Before I do anything else, I generally go thru the entire track with the AudioSuite GAIN plugin sitting on the screen. I will look for words/phrases that are too soft and boost them(usually1.8 to 3db is plenty). I will also look for anything that is realy hot and lower it by a similar amount. This way, the track is a lot more even so the compressor(s) aren't chasing wild dynamics(so I can use lower ratio and have it be more transparent). As for tuning, I avoid AutoTune completely. If I hear something that needs help, I will use Melodyne to fix it, ONLY if it sounds bad. Some notes may appear off in Melodyne, but if my ear says its fine, I leave it(of course, some folks have perfect pitch while others can't hear the difference between a B and a C, so YMMV). You can also duplicate the track and compress the daylights out of the dupe and mix it up behind the main, but choose the same plugins so you maintain the same latency(if any). BTW, you CAN use AutoTune in AudioSuite mode and fix single notes without processing the entire track. I pan BGV's away from center to leave room for the lead. Using a bit more verb on the BGV's will push them further back in the mix.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Another kudo for doing great work with the least amount of hardware. I got to thinking about what I do with lead vocals and thought I would toss more ideas out for consideration. Before I do anything else, I generally go thru the entire track with the AudioSuite GAIN plugin sitting on the screen. I will look for words/phrases that are too soft and boost them(usually1.8 to 3db is plenty). I will also look for anything that is realy hot and lower it by a similar amount. This way, the track is a lot more even so the compressor(s) aren't chasing wild dynamics(so I can use lower ratio and have it be more transparent). As for tuning, I avoid AutoTune completely. If I hear something that needs help, I will use Melodyne to fix it, ONLY if it sounds bad. Some notes may appear off in Melodyne, but if my ear says its fine, I leave it(of course, some folks have perfect pitch while others can't hear the difference between a B and a C, so YMMV). You can also duplicate the track and compress the daylights out of the dupe and mix it up behind the main, but choose the same plugins so you maintain the same latency(if any). BTW, you CAN use AutoTune in AudioSuite mode and fix single notes without processing the entire track. I pan BGV's away from center to leave room for the lead. Using a bit more verb on the BGV's will push them further back in the mix.
Thanks a lot. I also pan my BGV's away from the center. I'll definitely try your method with the GAIN. I do that when I see something that's needed though. How far do you pan your BGV's usually? Also, do you mean dup the A Capella (vocals) in another session?
Windows Vista Home Premium
Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio253 View Post
Also, do you mean dup the A Capella (vocals) in another session?
I think he means duplicate the lead vocal track within the session, and then compress the hell out of it so its real squashed. Then turn the fader down for the Dup Compressed track and slowly bring it up in the mix until you start to hear it add "balls" for laque of a better word. Leave the lead vocal in the mix as normal and find the sweet spot where the over compressed version can sit under it.

Another option, you might be able to compress the dup, then add and EQ and bump a spot that adds the warmth you want. Then slowly bring it up in the mix the same way. That way the warm spot is sitting on top of its level. There is a chance it will give you want you're looking for.

All in all man it think its sounding $h@# hot. As a person who often produces my own vocals, I understand what its like to expect a certain sound out of your own voice. I'm telling you as an objective 3rd party, the vocal is money bro! Not to say that my opinion is the end all, be all, but I think it sounds just right!

Nick
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Eggzactly!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
All in all man it think its sounding $h@# hot. As a person who often produces my own vocals, I understand what its like to expect a certain sound out of your own voice. I'm telling you as an objective 3rd party, the vocal is money bro! Not to say that my opinion is the end all, be all, but I think it sounds just right!

Nick
Lol thanks a lot, Nick. That's exactly what it is - smh. I'll definitely try the duping trick.
Windows Vista Home Premium
Old 06-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
I'm looking at your sig and thinking did you record this through the mbox2 mini mic pre?
It sounds too good to be true...

This sounds like top notch converters, pres and processing going on here.
You wouldn't believe how many lead vocals are cut like that these days. I know one top 40 song on the charts right now that has the lead vocal cut with a C800 into an mbox mini directly. Try and guess which one hehe.

Last edited by ajv205; 06-23-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
You wouldn't believe how many lead vocals are cut like that these days. I know one top 40 song on the charts right now that has the lead vocal cut with a C800 into an mbox mini directly. Try and guess which one hehe.
That's it. Next paid upgrade I'm buying an MBox Mini just in case that preamp gains cult status.

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv205 View Post
Can you tell us, please?

Please! LOL
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM

Here's my 2 cents. I always print vocals unprocessed. In the mix, if the lead vocal has lots of dynamics, I edit the vocal into sections spread across 3 (or 2) tracks, a separate soft/medium/loud track. Then I adjust a separate compresser (and sometimes an EQ) on each, then bus all 3 to an aux with yet another compresser. Automate each source track as needed, which affects the levels going into the aux's comp. This provides options of compressing pre AND post automation rides. If I do lots of BG stacks, I'll use different mics on some of them, just to vary up the sound a little. If you have alternate mics set up and ready to go, it dosen't bust the session flow. Albee's advice above is great, especially the EQ cuts in the BG VOC. Great thread.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 06-23-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot something