Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2007, 05:48 AM

Default Why PT?

I'm considering moving over to PT (M-Powered for the interface flexibility). As I don't want this to turn into a flame war or a trolling exercise I am not going to ask for comparisons nor will I mention what I currently use.

I do live recordings of small ensemble groups and recital recordings. I also handle all of the audio editing, mix-downs, mastering and production (limited).

Recording live classical ensemble groups usually takes no more than eight microphones and quite often is done with just four mics. Recital recordings vary between four and six microphones. Generally the mics are arranged as follows;
1) An M/S pair for the primary stereo image.
2) A focus mic for quite vocalists (usually younger performers)
3) A pair of satellite mics to for a broader stereo image
4) Sometimes certain ensembles will require a spot mic or two.

For the audio editing and processing I don't usually use much more than a limiter and a compressor.

Production is handled through an outboard disc cooker.

Here is why I am asking about 'Why PT'

Several people that I have talked to have commented that I should examine PT as it is an industry standard. This leads to my title 'Why PT'.

Here are some basic questions if any one can answer them.
What are PT's audio editing capabilities like, what editing features are available?
What are PT's audio recording systems like, what would be required to handle 8 seperate mic inputs?
What kind of a Mac system is needed to run competently? (I currently have a SR MBP 2.4 GHz with 2GB RAM)
And finally, is there anyway to demo PT without having to purchase hardware that I wouldn't use if I decide against it?

Sorry for the long post, but I thought that if you understood the context it would help with the answers.

Thanks for any advice.

Ninia