Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 10:19 AM

Default Whys do my AS settings sound different...

than whe they are used as insert plugins? I have this LA-2A setting that sounds great as a plugin...so when I remove it from the insert and then call it up in AudioSuite it sounds different, and it's louder.
Anyone else experience this with Audio Suite?

Also how do ya'll apply AS? Do you remove the plugin or do you just bypass it so you can compare, and then remove it after the AS track is in use.
I think that if you keep the plugin inserted and don't bypass you get a double dose of the affect when you then apply the AS version, right?
What's your approach?

Steve
Old 08-23-2002, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Whys do my AS settings sound different...

first i use the rtas version of the plugin on the track and adjust the settings. then i save the pluggin settings. next i select the area i want to process and open up the audiosuite version of the plugin. then open up the saved settings and process. also remember to remove the rtas plugin from the track or it will be like have two identical plugins on the track.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:34 PM

Just to be clear, are we talking about the difference between file-based Audiosuite and real-time Audiosuite?

Hitting "preview" in the file-based plugs will often sound different than inserting a real-time plugin because of level settings (and other processing) within the session that affect the sound you get from RTAS plugs. The "preview" from the file-based plugs is a direct link between the soundfile and your audio outputs, bypassing all the other stuff in the session.

It might work better to save your settings from the real-time plug, then open them from the file-based plug and apply them that way....the end result should be the same.

Mac Pro 8x2.8gHz, 4gb RAM, M-Audio Projectmix I/O, Pro Tools MP 8.0
Old 08-23-2002, 04:33 PM

Sounds about the same...I do the set up with the RTAS plugin, save it, remove it from the track, then call up the Audio Suite version, call up the preset, highlight the region and hit preview,

I'll check it out to see that nothing else is affecting the tracks playbacl level in the session.

Steve
Old 08-23-2002, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I think that if you keep the plugin inserted and don't bypass you get a double dose of the affect when you then apply the AS version, right?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, of course. PT doesn't know what you are doing, it's just going to play back the new audio with any RTAS plug-ins you have on.

I disable the plug in once I AS it. (Control + Command + click on plug). Then I can always reactivate it later if need be... or I'll just get rid of it.

Like jmark said, I would not trust what you are hearing in the preview of an Audiosuite plug. It;s trying to do too much. Just highlight a samll section and process it to be sure.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead River Studio:
than whe they are used as insert plugins? I have this LA-2A setting that sounds great as a plugin...so when I remove it from the insert and then call it up in AudioSuite it sounds different, and it's louder.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Remember that the Bombfactory compressors must have the sidechain set to the same track as the one you are prosessing, or else there will be no effect. This is only AS, not rtas.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead River Studio:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The AS prosessing will noy be affected by anything plugged in on the track, it just prosesses the file directly.

If you test a plugin as rtas first and audiosuite it later, there must be no plugins before it on the track or else there will be a difference in what the rtas and AS are prosessing.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:17 PM

Quote:
The AS prosessing will noy be affected by anything plugged in on the track, it just prosesses the file directly.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My reply was for listening back to the track after you used Audiosuite. You would hear the new file plus any plug-ins on the track.

For Previewing in Audiosuite, Ben's answer is correct... it's just previewing the file with no regards to the RTAS plug-in chain.

Also keep in mind that Audiosuite previews through sound manager, which if set to output through the 001, will play back at whatever volume you have set in Sound Manager.

Quote:
If you test a plugin as rtas first and audiosuite it later, there must be no plugins before it on the track or else there will be a difference in what the rtas and AS are prosessing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is confusing. Are you trying to say that in order to have a true comparison between the playback of the track with RTAS and the Preview with AS, you should only have that same plug-in on the track with all others bypassed or disabled? That would make sense. Otherwise, what do you mean?
Old 08-24-2002, 04:38 PM

What I mean is that if you have more than one plugin on a track, and you want to save their presets and print them with AS, you must prosess them in the right order.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:27 PM

Right. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 09:43 AM

At least on the Mac, the AudioSuite preview truncates to 16 bits so the degradation you are hearing IS real. Fortunately the actual processing is done properly without the degradation but it is a pain in the !!!.