Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-19-2020, 06:20 AM

Default 5.1 Output Bus I/O Assignments

Hi

I have recently set up a 5.1 studio to use with Unreal Engine, FMOD and Pro Tools Ultimate.

I have successfully managed to mix and monitor both Unreal and FMOD with the speaker configuration of L R C Lfe Ls Rs using the Saffire MixControl software of the Focusrite Interface and wanted to set up Pro Tools in the same way. I have attached the screenshot of the output I/O which matches the physical outputs to the speaker correctly but when I set up the bus configuration on the output it defaults to L C R Ls Rs Lfe and I cant seem to change it. In addition to that it defaults to mapping to the physical interface outputs of 1-6 and not 3-8 as I had set up in the output. I wonder if anyone knows how to change the bus assignment to correctly match the output. I feel like I am missing something basic here. Thanks in advance.

My setup consists of ProTools Ultimate 2020.3.0
Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 Interface (Firewire interface running Saffire MixControl 3.7)
PC running Windows 10 Pro version 1909
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IO Setup - Output.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IO Setup - Bus.jpg (43.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by omarNoCode; 11-19-2020 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Update specs
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 AM

Default Re: 5.1 Output Bus I/O Assignments

Channel order inside Pro Tools can't be changed. Busses, tracks, meters, etc. will always be film order. So don't worry about your bus page. On your output page you can re-order the channels to the SMPTE order (or anything else). It looks like you have it right, but I would get rid of the unused outputs. You should now be hearing 5.1 coming from outputs 3-8. Is that not the case?
Old 11-19-2020, 11:23 PM

7&8 are the defaults for the Cue on my system. Also, shouldn't stereo be 1&3 not 1&2? That's how mine is anyways.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
7&8 are the defaults for the Cue on my system. Also, shouldn't stereo be 1&3 not 1&2? That's how mine is anyways.
If you do Film order then stereo is 1+3, if you do SMPTE order, stereo is 1+2. Totally up to you how you want to patch your room outside of Pro Tools. I find SMPTE order much more convenient, but some interfaces don't allow it.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
If you do Film order then stereo is 1+3, if you do SMPTE order, stereo is 1+2. Totally up to you how you want to patch your room outside of Pro Tools. I find SMPTE order much more convenient, but some interfaces don't allow it.
I use a C24 and it's just how it's set up since PT works in Film Order.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the responses, I actually made a sill mistake, and managed to fix the issue. I had actually re-routed everything in the Focusrite Mix Control Software so I just moved all the outputs over by 2 and that fixed the issue - everything is coming out of the correct speakers now!

Cheers