Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Default This release has solved many of my issues!

Hi,

Ever since getting Pro Tools 9 and a second hand MR816x last year, my Pro Tools situation has been pretty grim, and seemed to get progressively worse. The issues i were having weren't even that common.

-DAE playback was almost impossible from a USB2.0 drive, even small sessions of say 10 mono tracks. Some projects played back fine, other would stop/start every few seconds. Granted, i dont use this drive for mixing (only backup), but its useful to be able to at least open and make sure your project is working ok!

This has changed altogether with the new drive management engine. Whatever they have done, its amazing. I can load even the heaviest of projects (40+ stereo tracks, full processing and VI's) and it doesnt seem bothered (on the same USB2.0 drive). Only one occasion have I had the slow drive error. Same improvements are applicable to internal SATA 1TB HDDS. It is now comparable in disk usage to Cubase, which is also flawless in this area.

-Corrupt session files. Only recently, i have been getting error upon error when trying to load up sessions, saying access violation occured 0x0000000 etc. It has been happening on virtually all sessions, and the only workaround that i've found is to use another ASIO driver, load the session, delete all the IO, save new session, and reload proper ASIO driver. Even after this, a week later, the same thing would happen. It drove me absolutely mad to the point at which i stopped using Pro Tools altogether for the past 3 months. I went through ever possible config and tweak to Windows 7/Pro Tools/BIOS, and nothing would fix it

However, this has changed again. Now, if i try to open a session at a different sampling rate than im currently using, then pro tools will let me know the IO config has changed (i.e. ADAT ports are reduced to half at 96k), and close. It will automatically change my sample rate of my interface, and all i have to do is re-open the project file again, and it all works! No more errors and forced closing, it just works and everything is recalled! It would be nice if Pro Tools didnt close automatically, but maybe my interface cant change sampling rates without doing this? I am positive this is a software change, because absolutely nothing on my system has changed since uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools 9&10.

Needless to say, apart from the lack of any major improvements which i know a lot of people are complaining about, my experience is really positive. Finally, my system feels stable, and so im not worried about stupid fade files going missing, or DAE playback errors, or session files not re-opening, or IO configurations being messed up.