Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2013, 12:55 AM

Default Problems Running Pro Tools 11 (Win7 64-bit)

I'm trying to run the trial version of Pro Tools to confirm it works before buying a real license but I get this error:

ProTools.dll
Can't find attached protection component, OS error 0x0d.

(This pops up from a blank system icon with no description in my notification area.)

I do have the iLok 2 USB and it has the trial license activated on it. If the iLok is not plugged in, Pro Tools will wait for the iLok to plug in (error doesn't show) so it seems like it's associated with loading the core program. I've tried searching through google and this forum but no threads pop up pertaining to my specific error.

If I can get help getting this working it would be great, thanks for your time in advance.

Custom Build:
Intel Xeon E3 1230-V2
8GB G Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870

Storage:
Kingston 240GB SSD Now
WD Green Caviar 3TB

Tascam US-800
Focusrite Saffire PRO-40

Pro Tools 11 for WINDOWS.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Problems Running Pro Tools 11 (Win7 64-bit)

did you try and run as admin mode?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 AM

If you DO get it running, it may not work so well. WD Green drives are awful for recording. WD Black are the best choice. Did you install Pro Tools to the C: drive?(you must).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 AM

Pro Tools is installed on the C:\ drive and I have tried running as an admin with no success.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Have you tried installing the iLok License manager from www.ilok.com.
You may want to try that first just to make sure your iLok is visible to the system and is working properly.

Once you can view your license successfully, then exit the license manager and try running PT again. If it fails, I would try reinstalling PT.

System Details
Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 AM

Yeah I've already tried license manager and it works. I've also tried reinstalling and repairing at least 4 times, twice each. Still nothing it seems.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Uh unusual error, but I'd *guess* its related to iLok software or its communication with Pro Tools. And even if the license manager applciation appears to work, driver components of that still need to talk to Pro Tools itself.

Did you uninstall Pro Tools before tryign to reinstall it? uninstall the iLok manager before tryign to reinstall it? Uninstall both and download new versions from their web sites (Yes I know pro Tools is large). Follow exactly the install instructions for Pro Tools 11 (there is an installation guide, see http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Documentation).

If nothing else works I would cut my losses and do a clean Windows 7 SP1 install. Install as few drivers as needed (e.g. graphics and audio interface), no antivirus software, then install the iLok manager and Pro Tools. If that works be sure to follow all the optimization instructions in the install guide.

And as pointed out thise Caviar Green drives are just toxic to Pro Tools. Definitly don't put audio/session files or VI samples on that drive. You need a dedicated 7,200 rpm or faster or SSD drive for audio/session files. WD Caviar Black or if you want more performance/a Samsung 840 Evo or Pro SSD are great choices for that dedicated audio/session drive.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:19 PM

What OS? or am I going blind

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 PM

Well his profile says Windows 7 x64... a confirmation would be nice.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM

I am running Windows Seven Ultimate 64-bit.

@Darryl: The error truly seems to be in the Pro Tools start up sequence and not in the iLok or the License Manager program. Here's why I think this: If the iLok isn't inserted Pro Tools will wait for the drive, and once it is inserted it will start up only if the required licenses are activated in it. My biggest problem is that this machine is a new build with only the core drivers installed.

I understand that the WD Green Caviar is a bad drive for recording, but I feel that is irrelevant to the problem. (plus, pro tools is on my solid state drive)

EDIT: Now that I think about it do you think that "ProTools.dll Can't find attached protection component, OS error 0x0d" could come from the iLok since it is an anti-piracy device? If that is the case, I understand the error a little better but my drive and licensing seem to be flawless. (SEEM to be...)

Last edited by FactionsOfArt; 12-05-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Afterthoughts.