Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Fast paning weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilman View Post
other workaround would be some 3 CH panorama plugin by a third party developer
For example? Don´t know any.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Adding extra break points makes a HUGE imporovement. I'll post some screenshots and come back here with a link.
I´ll try that tomorrow.

Frank.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 PM

Here's a link. I used a 20kHz sinetone and recorded it through a surround panner to a stereo track. The waveforms show the automation steps with different amounts of breakpoints. I did an arbitrary 8 frame region for this snapshot. I hope the image resolution is clear enough.

http://www.pharoahaudio.com/pannerautotest.html
Old 09-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Here's a link. I used a 20kHz sinetone and recorded it through a surround panner to a stereo track. The waveforms show the automation steps with different amounts of breakpoints. I did an arbitrary 8 frame region for this snapshot. I hope the image resolution is clear enough.

http://www.pharoahaudio.com/pannerautotest.html
Hey, that´s a great yet weird find! Thanks a lot for this.

Now Digi just has to put in an "un-thin automation" function

Is there a trick to quickly put in more breakpoints on a given line? Or did you manually pencil them in one by one?

Thanks again!

Frank.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM

I used the grabber. No, it isn't quick, but at least with the grabber you don't have to be super precise, just click somewhere near the line and a point is placed without causing a new bend. I like to get the pan length right and then add the smoothing inbetween points. Usually, though, I don't care enough to bother, mixing mostly tv crud here.

Who is this "Digi" person you speak of? :|
Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 AM

So, the lesson to be learned here is to set PT automatic automation thinning to none.

Frank.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
So, the lesson to be learned here is to set PT automatic automation thinning to none.
Maybe but that preference only operates on the automation that was just recorded, doesn't it? I have to draw fast moves anyway, which it doesn't touch. Besides, I get uncomfortable when the session file size gets upwards of 60mb. The auto save and undo/redo behaviors start getting in the way on my (old and slow) system. The last thing has nothing to do with the amount of RAM, of which I have far more than the Mac uses. I've had to lower undo's from 32 to 4 while conforming big session files, just to keep the software from freezing up.

The shape of those curves without extra automation breakpoints is very curious, looks like some kind of buggy byproduct of the automation interpolation routines. They are not stairstepped, as I had expected based on what it sounds like. There is obviously some kind of realtime interpolation working, it just isn't doing ideal calculations for a panner and there appears to be unequal "give and take" between channels, which probably contributes to the uneven sound of fast panner moves. It makes me wonder what exactly is happening during other fast parameter moves. Nah, I don't really want to find out.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 AM

Nice demonstration, Postman!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Maybe but that preference only operates on the automation that was just recorded, doesn't it? I have to draw fast moves anyway, which it doesn't touch. Besides, I get uncomfortable when the session file size gets upwards of 60mb. The auto save and undo/redo behaviors start getting in the way on my (old and slow) system. The last thing has nothing to do with the amount of RAM, of which I have far more than the Mac uses. I've had to lower undo's from 32 to 4 while conforming big session files, just to keep the software from freezing up.

The shape of those curves without extra automation breakpoints is very curious, looks like some kind of buggy byproduct of the automation interpolation routines. They are not stairstepped, as I had expected based on what it sounds like. There is obviously some kind of realtime interpolation working, it just isn't doing ideal calculations for a panner and there appears to be unequal "give and take" between channels, which probably contributes to the uneven sound of fast panner moves. It makes me wonder what exactly is happening during other fast parameter moves. Nah, I don't really want to find out.
and automation seems to perform better at higher samplerates.
altogether very strange.

ps: cool presentation you did there. it raises the bar in presenting bugs
Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 PM

Hi,

just wanted to give AVID a heads-up because this still happens in PT10. Maybe a fix for PT11? Or an "un-thin automation" feature? Had to pan 50 fast car bys today manually putting in breakpoints so they pan smoothly. Probably 200 extra-clicks that could be avoided ;-)

Thanks,

Frank.