Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-30-2018, 06:40 PM

Default how to cut/paste midi to a different track

Hey everyone, I have been searching for months and have not found out how to move midi notes from one track to another. I can cut and paste notes from one track into the same track, but that is not what I need. How do you move notes to a different instrument track?

The reason I ask is, I do all my compositions in Staff Pad, and then import midi. what that means is, all notes for the violin line (for example) are put onto one track. As i put individual articulations for every instrument on a separate track, I need to move certain notes from one track to another. I have been duplicating each instrument track, and then deleting the notes that do not belong for a particular instrument. I am tired of doing this 15+ instruments for every piece.

I feel like this should be an easy task, which frustrates me even more and makes me feel stupid! Any help would be so nice. Again, i can cut and paste selected notes to the same track, but I really need to cut and paste to a different track.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Re: how to cut/paste midi to a different track

Subscribed, I too want to know how to merge two midi regions and keep the notes from both, this is an easy and useful thing to do in Cubase, there's a tool for that.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 PM

Default how to cut/paste midi to a different track

When you go to your paste options, you can merge paste. Cut the notes you want, paste them into the new track along with whatever else you have there. This is how I used to do drums! When I recorded them with my fingers on the keyboards!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 01-31-2018, 05:11 AM

Default Re: how to cut/paste midi to a different track

Something to watch for when merging things is any MIDI messages other than notes. You could end up with extra or conflicting messages like cc7 and cc64 or others. This can explain why you have a note or notes that sustain forever because they get a sustain on message but never get the corresponding sustain off message - been there/had that happen

QAPLA!