Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 10:52 AM

Default Is Digibase really this slow??

So, Just recently switched over to PT 6, Digibase is a great idea. Am I missing something or is it really so slow that I'm losing my mind as it searches for files on a networked drive (gigabit)? I don't know, what are all y'all seeing, what are the thoughts on digibase?

-Chip
Old 12-12-2003, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Is Digibase really this slow??

Yup its slow here too. , If you have tons of files it is my understanding that it must draw all the waveforms etc. If you have thousands of files it can really slow things down. Nothing compares at this point to solutions like NetMix, SoundMiner or Mtools, if you have huge databases of sound that you need quick fast and reliable access to, I would look into a 3rd party solution at this point which by the way offers many more functions in regards to centrally installed databases shared amongst multiple users, much more elagantly and securely (user rights/access control, logging, encryption, remote accessibility etc. etc. ) than digibase offers at this point.
NK
Old 12-12-2003, 02:59 PM

That's what we thought. So, that leads me to which 3rd party software to use, any thoughts out there? Netmix seems cool, anyone using it? Soundminer?
Old 12-14-2003, 05:54 AM

Hello. There was a similar thread back in June and they had a workaround that apparently gave them much faster results. Here is an excerpt
Quote:
Interesting. Someone else on the DUC also reported inexplicably lousy DigiBase performance with network drives. I wonder if they were having the same problem.

I'm not sure why having the waveforms displayed should cause a problem. Probably we're pinging the network drive to check for waveforms embedded in the files (I think SoundMiner keeps the overviews in their database instead.)

As a workaround you can set up column layout presets. These should allow you to quickly switch between displaying the waveform column or not. You can toggle between view presets using ctrl 1-5. Also, you don't have to have the waveform column displayed to audition. You can just use the space bar. Not as cool as being able to click on the waveform, but it might get you by until we fix the problem with the overview display.

Thanks for narrowing the problem down. I've been mystified by this.

--------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Here is the rest of that thread

Digibase workaround