How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Default Re: CPTK gone in PT11

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
Friend.......I did not have that choice because I did not know. I work in television and film production. I work 12 plus hour days as a rigger......hard days, on my feet, up high, carrying heavy stuff etc etc etc. I come home beat. I have been so busy I have not had time to keep up with advances in DAW's etc. I don't get to go to audio conventions and I have not even had time to keep up with the forum.

The reason I bought 10 was because a friend asked me to score a film. I wanted to have the latest and I thought it would handle bigger VI counts. It didn't. I also got Symphobia. But I would not even have gone 10 but for this scoring gig opening up. No way I can afford this next $300 now and on principle........well......I won't go there.

So because I was not spending all my time trying to figure out when something new from Avid was coming out, I guess that automatically excludes me?

I'm not fighting you......just saying.

I bought PT10 from the Avid store. If there were tell tale signs of an 11 release.........why nothing there about it?

It just sucks is all. Very disappointing. A month and days friend. Some people have it worse......9 days. Maybe even less than that. It's not the same as people who have had it a year. I would have waited. Anyone would have.

Pro Tools 11, mainly the anticipation for a 64Bit version, has been a matter of discussion long before PT10 came out both here on this forum and practically anywhere on the web that talks about Audio Engineering in general.

Indeed it was quite a surprise to learn that when PT10 was released it wasn't 64Bit. So when we found out that it wasn't, some chose not to go to PT10 and rather wait for 11 knowing full well that Avid would HAVE to make it 64Bit just to keep up with everybody else. Frankly, it's never taken much common sense to realize that upgrading to v10 was only ever going to be an intermittent/in a lot of cases unnecessary step.

You have your own reasons for not finding out about the imminent release of a 64Bit version (yes well over a year ago) but it seems a bit unrealistic to blame anyone else...including Avid.. for not doing so.

You simply didn't have the choice because you didn't care that much to find out. The fact that you actually work in the industry gives you even less excuse IMHO.

Unfortunately the bulk of people on this forum who struggle with all sorts of problems running Pro Tools and complaining loudly about it are like you. They just don't do any research.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 04-07-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Friend.......I did not have that choice because I did not know. I work in television and film production. I work 12 plus hour days as a rigger......hard days, on my feet, up high, carrying heavy stuff etc etc etc. I come home beat.
I remember those days for live shows so I do understand you there

Quote:
The reason I bought 10 was because a friend asked me to score a film. I wanted to have the latest and I thought it would handle bigger VI counts. It didn't. I also got Symphobia. But I would not even have gone 10 but for this scoring gig opening up. No way I can afford this next $300 now and on principle........well......I won't go there.

So because I was not spending all my time trying to figure out when something new from Avid was coming out, I guess that automatically excludes me?

I'm not fighting you......just saying.

I bought PT10 from the Avid store. If there were tell tale signs of an 11 release.........why nothing there about it?

It just sucks is all. Very disappointing. A month and days friend. Some people have it worse......9 days. Maybe even less than that. It's not the same as people who have had it a year. I would have waited. Anyone would have.
Don't get me wrong, I do get your plight, nor like you, am I fighting you I'm just seeing things on both side of the edge. When you're knee deep into the situation it's hard to get a global view of things without letting your personal situation mix things up. It's unfortunately one of these things that is very hard to be fair cross the board. Try going back to your dealer, maybe he'll work something out for you, you won't lose anything for asking that's for sure. But beside that, Avid is pretty much stuck between the tree and the barks.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
You simply didn't have the choice because you didn't care that much to find out. The fact that you actually work in the industry gives you even less excuse IMHO.
The first part of that is untrue....the second.....I do not work in audio production. Far from it. I am a rigging grip.

That said.....I have to be up at 4:30am to be at Paramount Studio's at 6a. So I am going to crash.

There is no way you can justify these price structures to people who only just paid $300 to get to 10.......(for whatever reason-maybe totally new to PT)......and are now faced with another $300 so soon after to get 11......and who see folks getting from 9 to 11 for $200 less or who buy 10 and get it free.

Come to think of it. Why upgrade from 9 > 11? That's $399. Just pay for 10 at $299 and get your free upgrade when 11 is released.

I'm definitely tired.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Now it's time for the PT10 + CPTK users to fork it over

Quote:
New meters is that it?
Hardly.
FWIW I have been updating Protools since the early 90's and for me this is the most exciting upgrade I have seen by a long way.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
The first part of that is untrue....the second.....I do not work in audio production. Far from it. I am a rigging grip.

That said.....I have to be up at 4:30am to be at Paramount Studio's at 6a. So I am going to crash.

There is no way you can justify these price structures to people who only just paid $300 to get to 10.......(for whatever reason-maybe totally new to PT)......and are now faced with another $300 so soon after to get 11......and who see folks getting from 9 to 11 for $200 less or who buy 10 and get it free.

Come to think of it. Why upgrade from 9 > 11? That's $399. Just pay for 10 at $299 and get your free upgrade when 11 is released.

I'm definitely tired.
I'm about to go crash also so I'll finish with this. The people that bought the mazda 6 2012 at full price a month and a few days before the mazda 6 2013 came out, should they also frett about it, even more so that they do not get any grace period? It's like this in every business around the world, we are actually lucky that some company like Avid, gives any grace period at all.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
So if I spend $999 upgrading PT10 + CPTK just to keep the features I've already paid extra to have do I get more than 32 I/O????
My guess is that's its no. There's been no official word on this that I'm aware of. That's my guess as a user and not as a moderator. This would go over better if they didn't have any I/O limits other than the HD Native limits. And if it would let you stack interfaces.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
My guess is that's its no. There's been no official word on this that I'm aware of. That's my guess as a user and not as a moderator. This would go over better if they didn't have any I/O limits other than the HD Native limits. And if it would let you stack interfaces.
I'm sure your right....most likely it's the same.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:

Ha, that really is ridiculous. How did they miss that? I'm very excited for Pro Tools 11, but they always seem to f••k something up with these big upgrades. It looks as though Avid has been very confused about the whole CPTK middle level software option for a few years now. I feel sorry for those users with CPTK who have two options, both of which are not ideal. It's also a bad situation for those who want some of the HD features but don't want to get into the HD hardware. It seems like that is simply no longer an option anymore, unless you want to spend lots of money finding a work around. I am in the second category - had my eye on CPTK for a while....
Metric Halo ULN8 & 2882
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 PM

What would actually make even more sense than the CPTK/PT10 upgrade to HD11, is a CPTK upgrade to an HD Native or HDX system. I'm surprised they haven't done something like that earlier.

Maybe this could be asked about in the live streaming event.

With an upgrade like that, say $1500-2000 off an HD system, it would give those people something more for their money, and really feel like they're upgrading to another level.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
What would actually make even more sense than the CPTK/PT10 upgrade to HD11, is a CPTK upgrade to an HD Native or HDX system. I'm surprised they haven't done something like that earlier.

Maybe this could be asked about in the live streaming event.

With an upgrade like that, say $1500-2000 off an HD system, it would give those people something more for their money, and really feel like they're upgrading to another level.
This has been suggested more than a few times. I know I might have jumped already had this been the case.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88