Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 AM

Default Dry or Wet mix?

I am no means an professional at post-production, but over the years of refusing to throw money away by the hour at a studio and investing money in my own equipment and know-how, I feel like I am at a point where I can finally see it all pay off. I've been doing dry mixes for awhile just to be able to get my mixing skills a solid foundation and have now moved on to wetting up the vocals a little bit. I have been adding a overdub track with a medium delay and lowering the volume where it is almost indiscrete but the ambience is still there. My question is...what techniques do you guys employ in the mixdown of vocals?
Old 05-25-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Dry or Wet mix?

Whatever makes it sound right....seriously, small steps like you are doing make sense and I applaude your approach. Subtle is usually right but there are plenty of examples of radical on the radio as well so this is really a matter of choice/taste. I like to use a reverb set according to the song tempo. Fast songs get decay of 1.4-1.9s, and predelay of 10-40ms. SLow songs get more like 2.7-3.2s of decay with predealy from 80-160ms. As tempos change, I adjust accordingly. Delay settings range from slap(90-140ms) to 350ms (mixed way back). Sometimes for an effect, I send(using automation) single words or phrases to a long delay(set to quarter or half notes of the song tempo) and feed the delay return to a 3-4s verb so you only hear the verb, not the discreet delay. When in doubt, back it down in the mix until you are certain that whatever you add, actually improves the mix (vs. just distracting the listener).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-26-2006, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Dry or Wet mix?

Yeah...when I first started using the delay I had it pretty loud, but then I realized I didn't actually want the delay...just the room and ambience it added to the mix. I'll have to try your method out and see how I like it for my own mix...