Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-09-2016, 11:19 AM

Default When Plugin Window is in Focus, Transport Functions Are Non Existant

So I recently switched from Mac to Windows. I'm running Window 7 64 bit with Pro Tools 12 LE and there's one thing that just doesn't seem right... when I have any AAX plugin window open and in focus, all control over my session is suspended. That is mostly fine but the lack of transport control is really bugging me. Is every window is in its own isolated dimension? Oh say it isn't so!

Any insight into this will be much appreciated.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 AM

Default Re: When Plugin Window is in Focus, Transport Functions Are Non Existant

All plug-ins do this to you? I know there are some that "steal" keyboard strokes, so spacebar and other keystrokes don't trigger the transport. But this should only be the case for some third party plug-ins.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:57 PM

Default Re: When Plugin Window is in Focus, Transport Functions Are Non Existant

This happens with SOME plugins here(especially Toontracks). It is annoying for sure, but my solution is to use a Presonus Faderport in addition to my keyboard. The transport buttons on that always work PT, no matter what plugin is up(I decided I needed this back when I got started with Melodyne as that plugin was guilty of taking over the keyboard too). In any case, clicking anywhere off the plugin will restore keyboard focus back to PT.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-09-2016, 06:25 PM

albee, will clicking the red "Target" in the plug-in also restore keyboard focus to PT?

Thanks,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
albee, will clicking the red "Target" in the plug-in also restore keyboard focus to PT?

Thanks,
No. That function is to make the plugin stay on the screen until closed(so you can have multiple plugins on the screen)

Old 02-10-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This happens with SOME plugins here(especially Toontracks). It is annoying for sure, but my solution is to use a Presonus Faderport in addition to my keyboard. The transport buttons on that always work PT, no matter what plugin is up(I decided I needed this back when I got started with Melodyne as that plugin was guilty of taking over the keyboard too). In any case, clicking anywhere off the plugin will restore keyboard focus back to PT.
Hah, shows how recently I switched platforms, I'm a sucker for U-He's plugins and it seems to only occur with their line of plugins (at least out of my collection, haven't used Toontrack) Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that Presonus CS, seems reasonable for a HUI controller.

Last edited by ausbaxter; 02-11-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbaxter View Post
Hah, shows how recently I switched platforms, I'm a sucker for U-He's plugins and it seems to only occur with their line of plugins (at least out of my collection, haven't used Toontrack) Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that Presonus CS, seems reasonable for a HUI controller.
I wouldn't call it perfect, but still a very handy box(and one of the better $100 bills I have ever spent). The transport buttons are great and it has a footswitch jack that can be either Start/Stop, or Punch in/out(if you hit the SHIFT button on the Faderport). The fader(once you have the desired track "connected") is handy for doing volume rides(especially to write automation). The PAN knob is mostly useless, but for those with no control surface, its way handy