Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Default PT 12.4 with Windows 10 vs. Window 8.1 MSI Installer issue

Out of curiosity, I just upgraded my Windows 8.1 with Pro Tools 12.4 installed to Windows 10 on my new Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop. Everything worked, program launches, plays etc. but one issue in Windows 10 still remains for me, old MSI installers, aka Install Shield built into Windows.

When I tried to update the Avid Application Manager the process starts but does not complete (crashes midway through) and does not install under Windows 10. Fortunately, I was able to very quickly and easily go back via Windows Recovery function to Windows 8.1. Sure enough when I run the Avid Application Manager Update MSI installer, Bingo! Works like a charm.

I've noticed this issue not just on Avid but several other audio manufacturers installers for example Toontrack.

I don't see how Windows 10 will ever be "qualified" until this issue is resolved. If you question Microsoft about it, they'll tell you it's the 3rd party developers who need to update. Fat chance of that happening in a timely manner.

So Windows users wanting to use Pro Tools 12 (or other versions for that matter) my advice for now is do not try it with Windows 10 just yet. My plan is to try again in about a month to see if Microsoft resolves the issue.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 01-13-2016, 12:49 PM

Default Re: PT 12.4 with Windows 10 vs. Window 8.1 MSI Installer issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Out of curiosity, I just upgraded my Windows 8.1 with Pro Tools 12.4 installed to Windows 10 on my new Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop. Everything worked, program launches, plays etc. but one issue in Windows 10 still remains for me, old MSI installers, aka Install Shield built into Windows.

When I tried to update the Avid Application Manager the process starts but does not complete (crashes midway through) and does not install under Windows 10. Fortunately, I was able to very quickly and easily go back via Windows Recovery function to Windows 8.1. Sure enough when I run the Avid Application Manager Update MSI installer, Bingo! Works like a charm.

I've noticed this issue not just on Avid but several other audio manufacturers installers for example Toontrack.

I don't see how Windows 10 will ever be "qualified" until this issue is resolved. If you question Microsoft about it, they'll tell you it's the 3rd party developers who need to update. Fat chance of that happening in a timely manner.

So Windows users wanting to use Pro Tools 12 (or other versions for that matter) my advice for now is do not try it with Windows 10 just yet. My plan is to try again in about a month to see if Microsoft resolves the issue.
Timely manner?? Its been 6 months at least already since 10 released. They have long passed the "Timely manner" hope of anything happening!

12.x is running fine by most all accounts on Windows 10. I have installed it on 4-5 computers without issue. I would bet your issue is with updating from 8.1 to 10. Do a fresh install of 10 and you will be fine.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM

The "idea" isn't mine, but I know that every Windows user want it.
So join it:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...10/221874-3779
Old 01-26-2016, 05:36 PM

Does anyone from Avid read these boards?
I used to work at Intel as a software engineer. I know that pre-release versions of Win 10 have been available for at least 6 months before Win 10 was released to the public. Most 3rd party software vendors use these pre-release versions to assure that on day one of public release, their software products will work on a new version of Windows. I can't imagine why Avid would not have done this.

Windows 10 was released in July 2015, and will be available for free for only a few more months. Not having released a Pro Tools version validated on Win 10 is kind of a big finger in the air to their many Windows users.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevets View Post
Does anyone from Avid read these boards?
I used to work at Intel as a software engineer. I know that pre-release versions of Win 10 have been available for at least 6 months before Win 10 was released to the public. Most 3rd party software vendors use these pre-release versions to assure that on day one of public release, their software products will work on a new version of Windows. I can't imagine why Avid would not have done this.

Windows 10 was released in July 2015, and will be available for free for only a few more months. Not having released a Pro Tools version validated on Win 10 is kind of a big finger in the air to their many Windows users.
I remember when Windows XP first came out, a few of us dared to try it. I used a dual boot for a while, but (and someone help me,,, guitardom???), I believe it was more(?) than a year before DIGI finally supported it! And more recently, it had been forever before Avid gave us any support for 64 bit. It just takes 'them' a lot of time. But like mentioned back then and more recently again, they have a lot of different systems, etc. to have any major update ready for! Hopefully this one won't be forever! (And it actually works for me fairly well,, so far?!) Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |