Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Question Structure- Problem Importing Kontakt files

I bought Structure because it was advertised as being able to import Kontakt files. I tried to import them, but it doesn't want to link to the samples. I point it to the folder, and all the files it's looking for are there, but it won't connect to them. I press OK and it just asks where they are again. Am I doing something wrong?

Of course I didn't start reading the message boards until I had already purchased Structure... and it seems like everyone is having trouble using Kontakt files.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Structure- Problem Importing Kontakt files

Well, most obvious issue (as I recently discovered): for whatever reason, Structure does not seem to import instruments from Kontakt 3...only version 2.2x is working for me (had to dig out the disks and re-install the older version).

I'm not having any issues importing instruments created in the earlier version of Kontakt, but then I've only tried doing super-basic stuff...just whatever stabs or electronic drum samples I use when I'm composing in Sonar, make an instrument in Kontakt 2.2, then import that into Structure in PT. Haven't tried anything involving layers, loops, etc...
Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 PM

It's a darn shame - I only have Kontakt 3 and would love to use them in Structure since it's much less rough on my system. (what is it with NI and digi - is it rtas?)
Old 12-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperf View Post
It's a darn shame - I only have Kontakt 3 and would love to use them in Structure since it's much less rough on my system. (what is it with NI and digi - is it rtas?)
Absolutely. RTAS, the worst VI format in existence.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 PM

I was able to solve this problem by opening up every single one of my kontakt patches and saving them (with samples) to another folder. Then I was able to import these new files, even though I hadn't really changed anything.

And I've had problems with lots of other RTAS plug-ins too. On big sessions they can cause sound glitches, which makes laybacks somewhat stressfull.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Do you find that playing the Kontakt patches in Structure is better, from a workflow, sound, or CPU point of view?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

The CPU performance of Structure is much better than Kontakt. It doesn't glitch like Kontakt tends to do. I have Structure LE, and it looks like I don't have the option to create my own instruments like you can with Kontakt. As far as the patches are concerned, I'm not really sure. Most of them were created by a colleague in Kontakt, so I'm not familiar enough with them to really compare playing them in Structure vs. Kontakt. But they seem fine.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked45 View Post
The CPU performance of Structure is much better than Kontakt. It doesn't glitch like Kontakt tends to do. I have Structure LE, and it looks like I don't have the option to create my own instruments like you can with Kontakt. As far as the patches are concerned, I'm not really sure. Most of them were created by a colleague in Kontakt, so I'm not familiar enough with them to really compare playing them in Structure vs. Kontakt. But they seem fine.
Structure Import can be a little 'hit and miss' to say the least, but with a little patience and getting used to it's little 'idiosyncrasies ' things get easier.

Founder of the Expert Sites.