Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 09-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Default Re: Shift + fader sets level to 0db

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picture Start View Post
Hi Kyle,

What I'm seeing is that when you press the button down in 3.3.1: There is an approx 200-500ms delay between tapping the fader and it moving, compared to holding the keyboard's option key and seeing more or less immediate action.

You're saying that "The reset behavior should be much better (more consistent) than it was before." but in fact, the very nature of how you have "fixed" this bug is such that reseting the fader is wholly inconsistent to the behavior to which we, the users, are accustomed.

I seriously appreciate the work and time being put into this fix, but I still feel like nobody there knows what we want on account of the lack of comment on the discrepancy between using the SHIFT button on the Artist and the keyboard's OPTION key. Everything about the option-key methodology is what used to happen back around version 3.0 and before to the dawn of these devices. And we like it that way.

What I personally dislike about this new behavior is that there are now 3 more steps involved in reseting the fader. Because we users are all used to holding down the button and the faders flying back to zero upon let-go, when you try to do this now, A) the faders don't move, then B) you have to manually move each fader you want to "become eligible" to move without the button down, then C) you hold the button and have to tap them all again. I don't think there should be any LOGIC to determine whether or not the faders reset—one simple rule: when the button is down, the faders reset!

I promise you, just mimicking the OPTION key will solve every problem. Here's a video showing you the delay.

VIDEO
I just tested this ... It works flawlessly if you hold down the option key on an Artist Control but behaves exactly as you describe if you hold down the shift key on either an Mix or Control ... FWIW
Mac Pro 2x2.8 ghz Intel Zeon, 20 gig ram, Yosemite 10.10.5, Pro Tools 10,11,12.7.1, Logic Pro X 10.2, UA Apollo 16 quad, UA Octo Pcies, Dangerous Music 2 Bus, Antelope Audio Satori, Lynx Studio Hilo, Neve 542, Neve 511, API 505 DI, Bettermaker CV502. Avid Artist Mix, Avid Artist Control, Softube Console 1 mk11.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjewel View Post
I just tested this ... It works flawlessly if you hold down the option key on an Artist Control but behaves exactly as you describe if you hold down the shift key on either an Mix or Control ... FWIW
To me, it's worth a lot because you've corroborated my findings!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:19 AM

I don't mean to be a fly in the ointment here, but I would like to point out a couple of things I've observed!

First off:

Quote:
I promise you, just mimicking the OPTION key will solve every problem.
This idea does not work for Windows computers! (No "Option" key!)

And the "Control" key on Windows computers does not function, or substitute for the "Option" key within EuControl!

EDIT: "Control" key should be "ALT" key!

And secondly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hey Guys,

We've improved this quite a bit in EuControl 3.3.1, just released today. Will you guys give that a shot? Note: If you have already reset a fader, and are still holding the SHIFT switch while moving the fader, your DAW may not recognize the fader move, and you may not be able to reset the fader. If you want to reset the fader again, move the fader slightly, touch and hold SHIFT, and then tap or move fader to reset to 0 db.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We'll keep working on this. FWIW, the "VIDEO: MC Mix Fader FAIL" shows exactly what we called out in the note.
I'm really not trying to be a source for conflict hear, but the "VIDEO: MC Mix Fader FAIL" which Mr. Splittgerber aptly points out does represent the issues we are having... was uploaded before the release of EuControl 3.3.1!

So, I'm trying to understand what Mr. Splittgerber meant by "We've improved this quite a bit in EuControl 3.3.1, just released today.",because I'm seeing the same "Shift + Fader = 0dB functionality that was displayed before the release of EuControl 3.3.1!

I'm also hoping this function can be returned to the way it worked in EuControl 3.0.1, and earlier!

I would just use EuControl 3.0.1, but I'm a Cubase Pro 8 user, and as of version 8.0.20... Steinberg made using the latest version of EuControl a requirement, or their EuCon Adapter will not engage... How's that for forward thinking!

Thanks! "Picture Start" for taking the time to upload the video... it really does illustrate why I believe this function is just plain broken!

But, to be fair... this function didn't work at all on the AVID Artist Mix for EuControl versions after 3.0.1, and before 3.3.0, so at least I can see some progress, but it is IMHO far from what I liked with EuControl 3.0.1

Al

Last edited by MoPro; 09-24-2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Corrected Typo!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoPro View Post
This idea does not work for Windows computers! (No "Option" key!)

And the "Control" key on Windows computers does not function, or substitute for the "Option" key within EuControl!
Isn't the ALT key the analogue for the OPTION key on Macs? If not, it's even more vital this gets dealt with correctly.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Isn't the ALT key the analogue for the OPTION key on Macs? If not, it's even more vital this gets dealt with correctly.
YES... My bad!

But... "ALT" still does not work for Windows machines the way it works on MAC's, at least as far as EuControl is concerned!

So, on my machine I cannot duplicate your "Option" functionality!

Wouldn't it be special if both the Mac, and Windows version of the EuControl source code explicitly pointed to the "Option" key for that functionality?

I don't know if it's possible... just thinkin' out loud, and a bit off topic!

Al

Last edited by MoPro; 09-23-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:50 PM

In case anyone at Avid feels like all we do is bitch, this is just to officially say thanks for fixing this bug. It is now back to its former glory!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
In case anyone at Avid feels like all we do is bitch, this is just to officially say thanks for fixing this bug. It is now back to its former glory!
I agree! Only 3 more Logic X bugs to go! Things that USED to work years ago but are now BROKEN either due to Apple's changes, or Avid's, or both.

Will they ever even be looked at? I am not holding my breath.