Default Re: EuCon Hell

Good luck unkewl !
Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 AM

Thanks again ALL!

Kyle, appreciate the specific instructions. I took notes:

1. Disconnected Artist Control
2. Deleted: com.euphonix.install.EuControl.plist
3. In Users>Shared>Preferences there are no files named: com.euphonix.eucon.plist, com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist, com.Euphonix.EuControl.plist, and no Euphonix folder

But are two files: com.avid.device.{[long string]}.1.plist and com.avid.device.{[same long string]}.plist

Those are the only files in Users>Shared>Preferences. I didn't touch those.

4. No user sets, so I deleted the Euphonix folder in Application Support.
5. Ran uninstaller.
6. Rebooted.
7. Emptied trash.

Is it worth noting (?), I can see there is still a folder: Applications>Euphonix with EuControl (proper icon, too), EuControl 3.2 Read Me.pdf, and Uninstall EuControl there. Also the sub directories EUCON>Licenses with: LICENSE.pdf

I did not try to start it.

8. Installed 3.2
9. EuControl auto-launched and crashed.

I repeated the above process thrice (!!!) with exactly the same results. (That Applications>Euphonix folder was still there with those listed contents each time. I don’t understand.)

Also when I created a new Admin user, the only difference was I did get the Avid splash screen stuck at about 10% when it crashes.

Should I try starting the EuControl app after step 7? Should I manually delete Application>Euphonix folder after step 5?

Sorry, if my ignorance is not helpful.

More thanks for the help and guidance.

Also, how do I attach this crash report? (It doesn't seem to be accepted as a file type and it's too long to paste.) Thanks again.
PT 2018.4 HD / Mac Pro (Late 2013) MacOS 10.12.6 / 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 / Mac SSD / Thunderbolt Display / LaCie 5big (JBOD) / 2x-Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (Dual Unit) / Avid Artist Control
Old 10-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Avid

Hey unkewl,

Thanks for trying that.

First thing, those preferences are not in Users>Shared>Preferences they are in your User Library. I should have been more specific. To access that, hold Option on your keyboard and with a Finder window open click on the 'Go' menu and choose 'Library'. Then go to the Preferences folder and you'll see following, so delete these:

com.euphonix.eucon.plist
com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist
com.Euphonix.EuControl.plist
Euphonix folder

Next, please manually uninstall and not run the uninstaller. So...
-In Library>Preferences, delete com.euphonix.install.EuControl.plist
-In Library>Application Support, delete Euphonix folder
-In Applications folder, delete Euphonix folder
-Reboot Mac
-Empty Trash
-Install EuControl 3.2
-EuControl will auto-launch

If it still crashes, please try zipping the crash log by right-clicking and choosing "Compress...", then attach that. If that doesn't work can you post to Dropbox or the like, then post the link?

Thanks.
Berkeley, CA
Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 AM

Thanks Kyle. Yes, was able to manually uninstall per the directions. EuCon did still crash. The Dropbox link is below.

Appreciate your time and effort here, sir.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l_crash_report
PT 2018.4 HD / Mac Pro (Late 2013) MacOS 10.12.6 / 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 / Mac SSD / Thunderbolt Display / LaCie 5big (JBOD) / 2x-Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (Dual Unit) / Avid Artist Control
Old 10-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Avid

Thanks, we'll check out that log and let you know if we find root cause.
Berkeley, CA
Old 10-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Thank you, Kyle.

I'm repeating the process again, just to see if I get different results. And I've just rebooted and emptied the trash can (after manually uninstalling). I've not yet re-installed EuCon. But I can see in System Preferences, the EuCon button (or icon) is still there along the bottom. When I click, it opens "EUCON Preferences" and looks "normal" with version: EUCON 3.2.1 Build 8973262

If I manually uninstalled it, should that be gone? I keep being confused by this process. Thanks again for the help.

Feeling a little more brave this time, so I "start" and "stop" services and nothing happens. (The button does change from start to stop, but the spinning Eucon in the top right corner does not appear.) So that seems less confusing.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

I didn't notice this in Kyle's manual removal instructions...
You should be able to manually uninstall the preference pane in System Preferences in either of these ways:

Right-click on the icon in System Preferences and Remove "Eucon" Preference Pane

Or delete if from this location:
Macintosh HD/Library/PreferencePanes

Personally, I made a folder on my system:
Macintosh HD/Library/PreferencePanes Disabled
...where I store items I'm not currently using.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Thanks Bruce. That did the trick. Still the crash after the re-install. But the lessons here are useful.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Avid

Hey unkewl,

Some things to try from one of our developers. Let me know if this needs any clarification as this is quite "techie", so take your time and note spacing, etc in Terminal commands. Thanks.

1. Go to Mac HD>Applications>Utilities and launch Activity Monitor. Next, launch EuControl (after it fails/crashes) and check if MC_Client is running.

2. Next, look for location of libEuCon2.dylib.
a. Go to Mac HD>Applications>Utilities and launch Terminal
b. Type: cd /
c. Then, type: find / -name libEuCon*.dylib -print 2>/dev/null 1>/Users/<username>/libEuCon2_locations.txt
Note: <username> is your Mac account name. It will create a text file.
d. Locate the newly created text file located in "/Users/<username>/libEuCon2_locations.txt"
e. Attach that file here (compress it if you need to).

3. Turn on logging for EuControl/MC_Client.
a. In Terminal application, press Command + N on your keyboard to create a new Terminal window
b. Type: cd /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences
c. Type: cp com.euphonix.eucon.plist com.euphonix.eucon.plist.backup
This creates a backup in case things go wrong.
d. Download this free plist editor: http://www.nightproductions.net/prefsetter.html. Then, use that to open /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.euphonix.eucon.plist.
e. In the plist editor, find this key: Logging/SurfaceEnabled
f. Set the value to 1
g. Note the value of Logging/File (generally "/Users/<username>/Desktop/EuConLog2").
h. Exit the plist editor, saving if prompted.
i. Launch EuControl.
j. Using the value of Logging/File noted above, look in that directory you accessed earlier (/Users/<username>/) for a file called EuConLog2Surface.txt.
k. Attach that file here (compress it if you need to).

Good luck!
Berkeley, CA
Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Kyle, thank you for more DETAILED instructions!

Diving for pearls here, and I took notes:

1. MC_Client is does run briefly (maybe 10-15 seconds) before it goes away. I click "Try Again" when "EUCON network services could not be started" and it will appear again, but go away as above.

2. I followed the instructions closely twice, but seemed only to generate a blank text file with 0 bytes. (So nothing to post.)

3. When I open "com.euphonix.eucon" in Pref Setter (with an plist icon), I do not see that key listed as an option. (I see two keys: "Discovery/IPAddressOnEuConSubNet - string - 10.0.0.33" and "Discovery/MulticastInterface - string - 0c-4d-e9-c9-52-bd")

I am finding that playlist in Pref Setter when I start, but don't see an obvious way to maneuver to a different location if perhaps I am not looking at the correct playlist?

The other two EuCon type files Pref Setter sees are: "com.euphonix.EuConSystem" and "com.Euphonix.EuControl" -- the latter with the EuCon "E" icon.

Thank you for any continued direction! (I'm in beyond my depth.)