Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM

Default MIDI playback producing sonic "blasts" - dangerous behaviour?

So the MIDI engine has this habit of stopping while the audio carries on playing, and then all notes come back on with a thundering BANG, scaring the life out of me and anyone else in the room. It can do it when you insert plug-ins, or rename audio, and probably quite a few other operations.

So I've tried creating a reproducible recipe and would be grateful if someone would see if this also happens on their system.

*WARNING : turn monitoring down low!*

1. New audio track. Create new audio of e.g. 32 bars (I used "signal generator"), then use "separate clip on grid" (grid set to 1 bar) to create 32 audio clips.

2. Create 2 instrument tracks with Boom on it. I had one playing kick, one playing snare, 4 beats per bar, for 32 bars.

3. Duplicate these 2 tracks say 4 times? (Not quite sure the best number here, the idea is to put a bit of stress on the MIDI engine)

4. Hit play and then press shift-cmd-r to start renaming the audio clips. At some point during the proceedings all the MIDI instruments will stop playing, and will not resume until you've finished renaming the tracks. On my system it will usually (but not every time) also cause the MIDI instruments to crash back in at a super loud level.

I would argue that is quite dangerous behaviour, especially if you're monitoring quite loud anyway.

Here's a video of what I did to create the blast: https://youtu.be/BwZOLUD3OFg

Note it took a couple of goes to get it to happen, so it's not completely consistent. Also sometimes the MIDI comes back in fine but is running out of sync.

I know it's not a real world example, but I often run triggers and this sort of bish-bash-bosh happens quite a lot, causing no end of swearing.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Re: MIDI playback producing sonic "blasts" - dangerous behaviour?

Midnight !

I experienced something similar. Believe it was OneDrive synching in the background. Stopped/unlinked it and things were fine. Not sure on OneDrive, cuz I did a lot of windowsy stuff at the time. Im on windows 10. My vid on the strange behaviour:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nok...ew?usp=sharing

/T