Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Update 8.03 causes problems running win7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridrikur View Post
Hi YoRugMan I see your point but the point, and thus the frustration is that I had pt 8.00 working fine with windows 7 64 bit, but since I installed 8.03 and later uninstalled it, and afterwards reinstalling version 8.00, it all of a sudden had the same error message that first appeared with version 8.03. Prior to that I had no error messages with pro tools 8.00.
I'm a big believer in reformatting before reinstalling everything, because it guarantees that you've gotten rid of absolutely every .dll file etc, that might cause conflicts - and that's what could be happening to you.

Uninstalling a version of something, then just reinstalling a slightly different version of the same thing has caused me much grief in the past - with any software package.
It usually leaves something behind that should not be there.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Hi YoRugMan I see your point but the point, and thus the frustration is that I had pt 8.00 working fine with windows 7 64 bit, but since I installed 8.03 and later uninstalled it, and afterwards reinstalling version 8.00, it all of a sudden had the same error message that first appeared with version 8.03. Prior to that I had no error messages with pro tools 8.00.
This is common with this update; it plants a footprint that requires a OS re-install for most who have gone there. I have this running on a test machine and it's about 80% there but I feel that before I will get it right, another update will beat me to it. So for now XP it is. I have dumped over $600. in added hardware to try to get this going but…

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 PM

Seriously, Digidesign better get their act together.

As for me, I don't make much music as I would want to,
due to the v8.0.3 crap that's been going on,.
and I am waiting for the update to see if it gets fixed.

And the next music store staff that tells me that protools is the best,
im going to clobber them in the head with a protools I/O.
I love Protools, but I am frustrated.

1. - No import SF2 file
2. - Midi editor sucks
3. - No live time stretching
4. - No Mono to Stereo & Stereo to Mono conversions on Audio and Midi tracks.
5. - Cannot change output of channels in the fly from Mono to Stereo and back.
6. - MP3 Meta Data does not memorize within Protools & can not export or import file
for future use as well as portability.
7. - Copying and pasting does not copy the exact position of the region
to the pasted region within the time frame in the grid.
8. - Not able to import user sounds into Boom Drum Machine.
9. - No Mono button in the master channel strip. (above master fader in mixer).
10. - Midi notes in Midi editor are cartoonish and bubbled.
can not precisely position the midi notes without having to fuss with it.
11. - Time/ tempo change in audio really sucks and needs major work.
take advise from MixMiester....lol
12. - Saved patches of units are not saved within the project folder as they should be. (under session patches folder).
13. - Importing audio loops does not conforms to the tempo of the project on the fly.

Yes and the list is growing, and yes I am keeping score.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
I'm a big believer in reformatting before reinstalling everything, because it guarantees that you've gotten rid of absolutely every .dll file etc, that might cause conflicts - and that's what could be happening to you. Uninstalling a version of something, then just reinstalling a slightly different version of the same thing has caused me much grief in the past - with any software package.
It usually leaves something behind that should not be there.
I agree, and I will reformat windows 7 64 bit. Furthermore I also think that installing the approved fw410 win7 driver on a fresh system instead of uninstalling the prior one before, is the way to go. I will receive my ads pyro card on tuesday so it might be a good plan to reformat the computer on that date, since installing fw410 using the old firewire card sounds like a bad idea.
Thanky you for replying.
Memory: 2GB
ST3250310SV 250GB (SATA300, 3.:233GB (H:)
ST3320620AS 320GB (SATA150, 3.:298GB (C:)
External Harddisk: Lacie D2 Quadra 1 TB firewire 400 (Oxford 11 chipset - using a different firewire card than fw410)
Windows System: Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit ultimate
M-audio Firewire 410 (ADS PYRO PCI 64 bit firewire card with Texas instrument chipset)
(6.0.1_5.10.0.5058)
Pro Tools M-powered 8.03
Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This is common with this update; it plants a footprint that requires a OS re-install for most who have gone there. I have this running on a test machine and it's about 80% there but I feel that before I will get it right, another update will beat me to it. So for now XP it is. I have dumped over $600. in added hardware to try to get this going but…
I see your point. I tried a manual regedit clean but no luck, and also used c.cleaner which somehow seems obsolete in windows 7, it worked alot better in XP. Or to put it another way: win7 does a better job of cleaning up after itself, although there are alot of digidesign footprints lying around. Thank you for replying!
External Harddisk: Lacie D2 Quadra 1 TB firewire 400 (Oxford 11 chipset - using a different firewire card than fw410)
M-audio Firewire 410 (ADS PYRO PCI 64 bit firewire card with Texas instrument chipset)
(6.0.1_5.10.0.5058)
Pro Tools M-powered 8.03
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 AM

lol!!! The midi editor does not suck!!! are you nuts??
FL Studio - 9.0.3
Midi controllers - Behringer BCF 2000 - M-Audio Keystation 61es

Dan-Jay
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelabs View Post
1. - No import SF2 file
Use a SoundFont converter. I honestly don't think there are enough people using SF2 to warrant us taking the time to implement it.

Quote:
2. - Midi editor sucks
What do you think could be better about it?

Quote:
3. - No live time stretching
Can you be more specific? What are you trying to do, exactly? Something like change the tempo on the fly like you do with Ableton Live?

Quote:
4. - No Mono to Stereo & Stereo to Mono conversions on Audio and Midi tracks.
What are you trying to do that requires this, exactly? I ask because I want to be sure you're understanding why we do it the way we do and because you're talking about it in reference to MIDI - which has NO stereo/mono component. It's just data.

5. - Cannot change output of channels in the fly from Mono to Stereo and back.

Why would you want to do that, exactly?

6. - MP3 Meta Data does not memorize within Protools & can not export or import file
for future use as well as portability

What would you need this feature for, exactly?

7. - Copying and pasting does not copy the exact position of the region
to the pasted region within the time frame in the grid.

Yes, it does. Use Ticks mode, and read the manual, specifically the section on Quantize to Grid. You may also want to read up on 'sample rounding' so you understand completely why the 'problem' you're describing happens.

Quote:
8. - Not able to import user sounds into Boom Drum Machine.
It was never meant to do this.

Quote:
9. - No Mono button in the master channel strip. (above master fader in mixer).
See the previous post on BX Solo.

Quote:
10. - Midi notes in Midi editor are cartoonish and bubbled.
can not precisely position the midi notes without having to fuss with it.
'Fuss with it' - how exactly? I can precisely position notes every time. How are you working that you cannot position them properly - give me a specific example....

Quote:
11. - Time/ tempo change in audio really sucks and needs major work.
take advise from MixMiester....lol
Everyone has differing opinions about who has the best algorithm for time stretch/compression. Many think X-Form is pretty darned good but, as they say - to each their own.

Quote:
12. - Saved patches of units are not saved within the project folder as they should be. (under session patches folder).
Again, a matter of how you work. Pro Tools defaults to having any patches saved to a general location available to all users all the time. If you prefer you can save your patches to any location you wish.

13. - Importing audio loops does not conforms to the tempo of the project on the fly.

Sure they can - again, it's covered in the manual.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
I agree, and I will reformat windows 7 64 bit. Furthermore I also think that installing the approved fw410 win7 driver on a fresh system instead of uninstalling the prior one before, is the way to go. I will receive my ads pyro card on tuesday so it might be a good plan to reformat the computer on that date, since installing fw410 using the old firewire card sounds like a bad idea.
Thanky you for replying.
I'm curious - did you use the PT Nuke app, or just do an uninstall from the installed applications list?

Did you install the proper FW410 driver? Or should I say - which version of the FW410 driver did you have installed?

I did a Google search for the 'errorreport.dll' and, as it turns out, you may actually be the only one to ever see this error, as I couldn't find anything on it....
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
What are you trying to do that requires this, exactly? I ask because I want to be sure you're understanding why we do it the way we do and because you're talking about it in reference to MIDI - which has NO stereo/mono component. It's just data.
I think he's refering to tracks as they're displayed in the mixer, not the edit view.
If I recall correctly from a previous thread of his, he wants the stereo/mono switch button on all channels in the mixer, so he can change the final sound output.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 PM

I tried both. Tried to uninstall it from the PT application menu, and also uninstall in control panel. Don't know what Nuke is? I used the uninstall exe file residing in the digidesign folder. Honestly I have tried everything over and over. Errorreport.dll is a very strange error. I found nothing about on google either...
I hope you can use my sandra report to help with something?
(6.0.1_5.10.0.5058)
Pro Tools M-powered 8.03