Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2009, 02:19 AM

Thumbs down new latest MacPro upgrade to Pro Tools 8 and constant crashing

Hello DUC,

Just bought the new MacPro 2.9 8-core Nehalem to replace our old G5 quad core which has gone faulty. updated to Leopard 10.4.6 installed PT8 and installed latest installers for our plugins Digidesign plugs various/ Waves Gold Native/ Soundtoys Native/ McDsp various plugs TDM and Native/ Autotune EVO.

Started to run our sessions that ran fine on the G5 and the sessions are crashing every 2-3 times an hour

theses sessions have 40-50 tracks running. 50 plugins and about 12 instruments on average.

Either the session will just crash with no warning or we get a message say pro tools has lost communication with the chassis error 9161

This happens on ALL our songs except one which is nearly finished but all the other songs will crash really quick.

Pro Tools 8
Nehalem 2.9 8-core (16 threads or virtual cores?)
8gig ram
HD3 PCIX
Digidesign chassis with new 5 mitre cables bought yesterday.

Jez
Old 06-04-2009, 02:27 AM

Default Re: new latest MacPro upgrade to Pro Tools 8 and constant crashing

You say 10.4.6

You mean 10.5.6??
Because thats the os required.
Cheers
Dave
Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroboyz View Post
[…] Digidesign chassis with new 5 mitre cables bought yesterday.
Be sure to remove any clergymen still attached to a mitre — they’re incompatible.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
Be sure to remove any clergymen still attached to a mitre — they’re incompatible.
hahahahha.. good one!
To the OP. If you do a search for "error 9161" you will come up with multiple hits like this one
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...ght=error+9161

And you won't set yourself up for an "andre"!!! SB
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Hello DUC,

about 12 instruments on average.

Either the session will just crash with no warning or we get a message say pro tools has lost communication with the chassis error 9161

Digidesign chassis with new 5 mitre cables bought yesterday.

Jez
Hi,

Are the instruments the Digidesign AIR plugs? (i assume so as you don't list any other VI's)
Is the chassis the Expansion HD/6 (i guess it is, if it has the ethernet connection?)

Is this the message you see....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDYh_tp_L8A

I have been working with Digi to try and track this down!! We Think the AIR plugins are conflicting with some other plugins which causes the chassis to lose connection with the error -9161.

I have ruled out every single plugin as the sole cause of the conflict and it now appears several different plugins could be causing the conflict. unfortunately you have the main contenders; Waves and Soundtoys.

Remove the AIR digi instruments from your plugins folder and i guarantee the problem will cease!
Leave the Air plugins in the folder and remove ALL Third party plugins and the problem will cease!

Can you let me know which Soundtoys plugs you have?
Which McDsp plugs you have?
is it just the Waves Gold? no other Waves plugs?

Oh welcome to Andre's humor everyone knows it is spelled meaters

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Are the instruments the Digidesign AIR plugs? (i assume so as you don't list any other VI's)
Is the chassis the Expansion HD/6 (i guess it is, if it has the ethernet connection?)

Is this the message you see....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDYh_tp_L8A

I have been working with Digi to try and track this down!! We Think the AIR plugins are conflicting with some other plugins which causes the chassis to lose connection with the error -9161.

I have ruled out every single plugin as the sole cause of the conflict and it now appears several different plugins could be causing the conflict. unfortunately you have the main contenders; Waves and Soundtoys.

Remove the AIR digi instruments from your plugins folder and i guarantee the problem will cease!
Leave the Air plugins in the folder and remove ALL Third party plugins and the problem will cease!

Can you let me know which Soundtoys plugs you have?
Which McDsp plugs you have?
is it just the Waves Gold? no other Waves plugs?

Oh welcome to Andre's humor everyone knows it is spelled meaters

Chris
Yes that error message 9161 most of the crashes
yes digdesign own instruments xpandi, hybrid, structure free and external midi synths.
yes the digidesigns own chassis.

Please tell me this is a freaking joke. I was in the shop when the sales rep came on to this site and checked it was all compatible with pro tools 8. we had none of these problems before on the G5 and 7.3.

So how can we get our remixes finished???????

Whats the answer. is there another version of pro tools THAT WORKS that we can install on this computer?

we've lost so much time already, we spent all yesterday re-installing and cleaning all the connections. we need to get a working version of pro tools immediately. the salesman said to try cs2 so i have just downloaded that, hoping it will be better. we have no internet at the studio at the moment so i have to do everything from home

to answer the questions here's our plugs
waves gold native
McDsp AC1/2 native Filter bank compressor bank tdm
Soundtoys Native bundle
autotune native

Thanks Andre for the lesson in semantics, that fixed it ok, we can now pay our mortgages and feed the kids again. NOT

Jeremy
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Yes that error message 9161 most of the crashes
yes digdesign own instruments xpandi, hybrid, structure free and external midi synths.
yes the digidesigns own chassis.
Hi,

Sorry mate, but you have the same problem that a few of us have right now with this chassis. there is no version that will work with your computer and the chassis as long as you use the AIR instruments. all i can suggest is removing all your third party plugins from your plugs folder system drive/library/app support/digidesign/plugins and put them into the unused plugins folder then try and work with your synth parts then bounce them to audio. then remove the AIR plugins and place the third party plugins back into the folder for the final mixing. this is how i'm trying to work at the moment!! its a pain not being able to mix and create at the same time but i'm slowly getting work done at least.

Other option would be to get your G5 repaired if possible and wait till hopefully this gets fixed. or do what most people have done now and get the Magma PE6R4 which doesn't have this problem and has zero latency.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Yes, the Magma PE6R4 is really the most realistic solution until, or if, Digi gets this sorted out. I have the PE6R4 and it works flawlessly.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
[…] Thanks Andre for the lesson in semantics, that fixed it ok, we can now pay our mortgages and feed the kids again. NOT

Jeremy
Take it easy, Jeremy.

I love surreal imagery and your post triggered exactly that. Nothing more, nothing less.

And certainly not a lesson in semantics — those are worded (and feel) differently, and are only offered when requested… or provoked. (You’ll know it when you see one.)

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post

(chuckle)
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!