Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2023, 03:34 PM

Default Is there automation in Artist package?

Hi, I downloaded the trial Protools and received the Ultimate for the trial.
I purchased the Protools Artist right after but I guess the Ultimate has to time out so I'll have it till next month.

My question, does the Artistic package have automation for the tracks like volume automation, mute, pan?

Secondly, has anyone tried the trial first and received Ultimate then had to digress to Artist?
What happens to all the features and extra plug ins? Do they just exist on your hard drive taking up space and are deactivated?

Thank you

Rich
Old 12-28-2023, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Is there automation in Artist package?

It has basic automation yes. Volume, mute, sends, plugin parameters... But not what they call "advanced automation" which I can't keep track of... Probably means no Preview mode, punch/capture, I'm not sure about Trim.

The installed package is the same. It unlocks features based on the license it finds.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:49 PM

Thank you.

So as far as the ultimate to artist, let the trial ultimate run it's course for the next month and then the artist license will find what it needs? Don't delete anything? Just leave it alone? (except for maybe activating the license again?)

Thanks
Old 12-28-2023, 08:03 PM

If you installed all the optional plugins that come with Pro Tools Ultimate (aka the Complete Plugin Bundle and a few more) then under Pro Tools Artist (which licenses a subset of those plugins in the Artist Plugin Bundle) some plugins you installed will stop working with an Artist license, you will likely get nagged about this on startup and can select to remove those specific plugins or you can manually remove them.

I have already pointed you at the Pro Tools product https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison) and links there describe the different plugin bundles.
Old 12-28-2023, 08:55 PM

Hi, Thanks Darryl,
I've looked at that list a couple of weeks now. So I'm guessing when the time comes, unless I'm prompted from protools to select which plugins to remove that it will remove, I would make a list of the plug ins and look somewhere in LIBRARY?? for the plug ins not being used and than delete them from that list ?

Rich

I got to mention, why do they make this so difficult? No uninstall or list to do this or that to delete the program and everything involved. They supply you with a bunch of stuff to clog up your computer, then basically walk away.
Figure send you the basic to see if it woks rather than the WHOLE kit and combudale that you now have to decipher through and clogs up your computer.

Also have to mention already the new mac mini which I finally got up and running 2 weeks ago and has been great, has gotten alittle weirder and that whirley wheel of doom (beach ball) that I haven't seen on this computer is now coming up on loading since last nights protools download..

For such a great product it's terrible how it treats machines.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:36 AM

No it's not very easy or straightforward dealing with the optional stock plugins.

BUT did you actually install them? If you're using Avid Link (which most of us don't like) it should tell you what you installed and have a way to uninstall. I think. I deleted it so I can't check
Old 12-29-2023, 07:48 AM

For the plugins you don't have license, PT should ask whether to move them to "unused" folder. It is just as good as uninstalling.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:27 AM
Avid

Just an FYI - You are posting the in the Control Surfaces Artist Series forum....not the Pro Tool Artist forum.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:43 AM

moved to normal protools subforum
Old 12-29-2023, 02:18 PM

Thank you