Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2016, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Well Here We Go. Not So Good.

But I think we are on the right track. Sorry, I have to step for a few hours...that work thing....
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 AM

Fwiw. I have your basic machine I think. Xeon dual quad 2010 ish. I've never had any luck with caviar blacks. I know, lots will chime in that will say the opposite. But I've got many that are used only as backups bc I always had issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
Fwiw. I have your basic machine I think. Xeon dual quad 2010 ish. I've never had any luck with caviar blacks. I know, lots will chime in that will say the opposite. But I've got many that are used only as backups bc I always had issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been using them for years on Windows builds.

What drives are you using?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Well Here We Go. Not So Good. (AAE error -9073 when starting playback)

Seagates. 7200 RPM 3TB (4tb was a disaster). ST3000DM001

I ran Seagate primarily for about 18 years. Switched to Caviar Blacks for some reason. Many issues with file corruption on many drives for a few years (by many I mean 5-10 from diff vendors). Seagates have never seen this behavior on my system.

I DID notice that the Blacks ran A LOT hotter in a little external (and wide open) backup system I have. Seagate are always cool to touch. Blacks were always steaming hot. Maybe heat was a problem on my machine? who knows. But the Seagates have been happier.

Refresh my memory what OS are you on (Tigger? Mavericks etc I don't know the numbers anymore I got lost after Puma)
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 05-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Well Here We Go. Not So Good. (AAE error -9073 when starting playback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
Seagates. 7200 RPM 3TB (4tb was a disaster). ST3000DM001

I ran Seagate primarily for about 18 years. Switched to Caviar Blacks for some reason. Many issues with file corruption on many drives for a few years (by many I mean 5-10 from diff vendors). Seagates have never seen this behavior on my system.

I DID notice that the Blacks ran A LOT hotter in a little external (and wide open) backup system I have. Seagate are always cool to touch. Blacks were always steaming hot. Maybe heat was a problem on my machine? who knows. But the Seagates have been happier.

Refresh my memory what OS are you on (Tigger? Mavericks etc I don't know the numbers anymore I got lost after Puma)
Thank you.

Yosemite 10.10.5
Old 05-17-2016, 10:38 AM

Given the newness of 12.5 and general problems people are having (including on Mac) I'd just be starting with 12.4. Take that opportunity to also remove all third party plugins, do a clean 12.4 install and just start there.

EDIT: Oh and you were getting beachballs and tried reinstalling Pro Tools 12.4 before and it did not work at all. Whoa stop there. That is badly messed up and not worth wasting time on. The only thing I would try there is to remove all third party plugins (takes a few minutes to test) and if 12.4 did not work then give up on that whole OS X install. Create a new partition and do a full clean reinstall of Yosemite, ILM, 12.4 and nothing else at all and test 12.4 works there with built-in output. If so then slowly install other stuff checking as you go.

---

Before jumping in and going down fully "disk is a problem" path how about some of the standard troubleshooting steps.

There is really nothing you can do to affect disk in OS X. You are not RAID which is good and the filesystem is OS X extended (HFS+) which is correct. presumably you are using the motherboard SATA for all HDD connections. I'll note that these are only SATA II on a cheese grater, but not that significant for a HDD, is significant for modern SSD.

Hopefully your VI samples are on the boot drive or a separate drive (double check).

Some signs here of maybe a corrupt session copy. That does not necessarily mean the disk itself is corrupted. be careful of doing things via FAT-32 file interchange, sometimes that can be problematic. Mounting a NTFS volume on OS X (read-only supported) and dragging from there to HFS+ volumes is better.

Run verify disk in OS X Disk utility if you suspect a bad disk. Just do it now to be sure.

Did this system work OK with just Pro Tools and standard plugin installed (before you installed third party plugins?) or did you leap in installing all plugins before testing?

---

Standard troubleshooting:

Double check all systems optimizations are done, every last stupid thing (and forget what Avid says and turn off spotlight on all drives for now). Bluetooth off, WiFi off, etc.

Unplug any unneeded peripherals, control surfaces, etc. etc.

Turn OFF dynamic plugin processing.

Turn ON disk cache (set it to 2GB or something as "normal" == off). This will tend to make many disk performance issues go away. But if it does turn it back to normal and solve the problems.

Make sure ignore errors is not checked (you want to see every error).

Trash prefs (and trash frequently as you try other things).

Temp remove all third party plugins from the plugin folder. Actually drag them all out to some other folder, and Pro Tools will magically put back it's standard ones. Just try with them.

Test starting with with a new empty session, not copies of others, not from templates. No plugins does that work? Add standard Pro Tools plugins does that work?

Try switching playback engine to built-in output.

Test creating a new session etc. from a newly created admin account.

---

Other troubeshooting things to try:

In OS X Activity monitor look for anything running burning CPU.

In OS X Console.app look in System.log for "interesting" looking errors or warnings. Things constantly restarting etc.

Never install anti-virus software on a Mac. If you did fully uninstall it now.

If you installed a lot of third party software or drivers before testing Pro Tools it may pay to create a new clean partition, reinstall OS X on that and just install the interface driver, ILM and Pro Tools and nothing else and see if that works better.

If you are also seeing graphics glitches/slowness look up the beam sync tweeks on DUC. And do NOT upgrade to El Capitan.

Try Pro Tools 12.4 (yes even though 12.5 is much better for many users on Mac than it is on Windows).

----

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-17-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM

And do you have any Antares products installed?

Get rid of the one called Autotune 8 + time or something to that effect. Its the one labeled "+ time". That was crashing some of my sessions on startup. EVEN IF THE PLUG WASN'T USED in session.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 05-18-2016, 09:35 AM

Well I appreciate all the suggestions and logical advice.

I have learned much about the OSX process involving the setup and maintenance of Pro Tools.

So I look at this as a good experience because it forced me to dig deep into the nuts and bolts of the relationship between the two ( OSX and Pro Tools )

I am happy to say that after much testing I have found the culprit for my issue is this particular WD Caviar Black WD 1001FALS Drive I was running my sessions from.

My issue was not Software or user error related.

So for the moment I am up and running like the wind.

Again thank you for help.

Last edited by philip888; 05-18-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Well Here We Go. Not So Good. (AAE error -9073 when starting playback) [SOLVED]

Philip, can you be more specific about the hard drive model? I don't know if CB stands for Caviar Blue or Caviar Black. There should be a full model number printed on the unit (WD10xxxxx).
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Well Here We Go. Not So Good. (AAE error -9073 when starting playback) [SOLVED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Philip, can you be more specific about the hard drive model? I don't know if CB stands for Caviar Blue or Caviar Black. There should be a full model number printed on the unit (WD10xxxxx).
Sure I mention my spec through out the thread.

WD Caviar Black WD 1001FALS