Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Default Audiosuite causes pro tools to freeze

When I attempt to render or audition audio with an audio suite plugin pro tools locks up. I then have to force quit and loose what I haven't saved. Any ideas. It happens with waves and avid plugins.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Audio suite causes protocols to freeze

It would sure help to know...

What version of Pro Tools?

What are your system specs?

Has this always been the case or did it recently begin?

Have you made recent changes to your system?

Are your plug-ins ALL current? Not just the ones in use, but all that are installed.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-29-2014, 04:39 PM

Hi... I am having a similar problem. I recently upgraded to Pro Tools 11 and installed it as a co-install with Pro Tools 10. I uninstalled Pro Tools 10 (clean) before installing 10.3.9, then 11.1.3.

PT 11 audio suite plugins / Elastic Audio have not worked since initial install (they work fine in PT10). If I enable an elastic audio plugin, the task hangs on rendering the audio and I have to cancel it. If I use a 3rd party plugin (ReVoice Pro), capturing the audio causes the system to hang and I have to force quit (ReVoice Pro works fine in PT10).

I've tried uninstalling both and reinstalling again... didn't help.

I've searched the forum and googled the issue and came across others reporting similar issue, but I haven't seen any responses to help me troubleshoot this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macla View Post
Hi... I am having a similar problem. I recently upgraded to Pro Tools 11 and installed it as a co-install with Pro Tools 10. I uninstalled Pro Tools 10 (clean) before installing 10.3.9, then 11.1.3.

PT 11 audio suite plugins / Elastic Audio have not worked since initial install (they work fine in PT10). If I enable an elastic audio plugin, the task hangs on rendering the audio and I have to cancel it. If I use a 3rd party plugin (ReVoice Pro), capturing the audio causes the system to hang and I have to force quit (ReVoice Pro works fine in PT10).

I've tried uninstalling both and reinstalling again... didn't help.

I've searched the forum and googled the issue and came across others reporting similar issue, but I haven't seen any responses to help me troubleshoot this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Again - like was asked of the first poster - what are your system particulars (hardware, software, operating system, etc.)? If you're on a Windows machine a Sandra report is necessary. Read and follow the 'Help Us To Help You' link that is at the top of EVERY page here on the DUC.

We're not mind readers here and can't answer without more info.

QAPLA!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:45 PM

Sorry about that. I just joined yesterday and I input the details in my profile. Guess I need to set them up in my signature for them to show in the post. oops.

System Details
iMac 27inch mid-2011
Mac OSX 10.8.5
Apogee Quartet
Pro tools Native co-install:
10.3.8.378 (rolled back from 10.3.9)
Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Question Re: Audio suite causes protocols to freeze

Quote:
10.3.8.378 (rolled back from 10.3.9)
How did you roll back? Safe Uninstall? Clean Uninstall?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM

Clean install.

System Details
iMac 27inch mid-2011
Mac OSX 10.8.5
Apogee Quartet
Old 05-30-2014, 04:53 PM

p.s. The issue with PT11 was happening before I rolled back.

System Details
iMac 27inch mid-2011
Mac OSX 10.8.5
Apogee Quartet
Old 05-30-2014, 04:58 PM

Post Re: Audio suite causes protocols to freeze

Quote:
PT 11 audio suite plugins / Elastic Audio have not worked since initial install (they work fine in PT10). If I enable an elastic audio plugin, the task hangs on rendering the audio and I have to cancel it.
Here are a few things to try:
  1. Enable Elastic Audio on a track before placing any audio files on it
  2. Set your session to use AIFF files and use File-->Import to load the audio files. Click the convert button (converts to AIFF on import).
  3. Set your session to use WAV files and use File-->Import to load the audio files. Click the convert button (converts to WAV on import).
  4. Try each Elastic Audio plug-in. Do you get the same result with each one?
  5. Set your session to use multi-mono (not stereo interleaved) files.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the troubleshooting test list.
I performed all the tests you mentioned:

1. Enable Elastic Audio on a track before placing any audio files on it
-- Same result: Enabling Elastic Audio on an audio track, then placing an audio file on it or recording new audio on it hangs on the Analyzing Audio task (the progress bar doesn't advance past the initial green sliver). I have to cancel the task. The result is the same whether stereo or mono track.

Interesting... the Timeline Data Online Status indicator remains red even after I cancel the tasks and disable the Elastic Audio plugin on all tracks. Audio is rendered and audible on all tracks, but the indicator remains red. If I save the session, close it, then re-open. The Timeline Data Online Status indicator is green.

2. Set your session to use AIFF files and use File-->Import to load the audio files. Click the convert button (converts to AIFF on import).
-- I set my session to use AIFF and used File → Import to bring in a WAV audio file, clicking on the “convert” button to convert to AIFF, then clicked “done”. The Import window closed and the Processing Audio task dialog popped up, but it hung – I finally had to cancel it. No audio was processed.

3. Set your session to use WAV files and use File-->Import to load the audio files. Click the convert button (converts to WAV on import).
-- Same result when the session is set to Wav: I used File → Import to bring in a Wav audio file, clicking on the “convert” button to convert to WAV, then clicked “done”. The Import window closed and the Processing Audio task dialog popped up, but it hung – I finally had to cancel it. No audio was processed.

4. Try each Elastic Audio plug-in. Do you get the same result with each one?
-- Yes, I get the same result with each Elastic Audio plugin. When I try to use an AudioSuite plugin (Reverse, for example), clicking “Render” will pop-up the Rendering status window and the session will hang (spinning beach ball). I can't cancel, I have to Force Quit.

5. Set your session to use multi-mono (not stereo interleaved) files.
-- Same result whether the session is set to interleaved or multi-mono.

System Details
iMac 27inch mid-2011
Mac OSX 10.8.5
Apogee Quartet