Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Default AKAI MPD18 won't trigger any VI in PT10

I can see the AKAI MPD18 in MIDI devices. When I hit a pad I can see a tiny corresponding signal (the green signal light by the track name) on a MIDI track but it will not trigger Strike or Velvet (I tried Velvet as a test, don't plan on triggering velvet with a drum pad). I have made sure that MIDI Thru is on. I have done this exact setup successfully in the past with PT9 or 8 and the same AKAI MPD18 but different Mac.

One weird thing. When I open Audio MIDI Studio there are no options about MIDI just audio options. But again, the AKAI MPD18 does show up in MIDI devices and I can select it from a MIDI channel's input or output.

(Kind of confused about the MIDI channel's in and outs and the Instrument channels ins and outs when it comes to setting them up to do this. Or even if I need to use a MIDi Channel to route the signal to an instrument channel).
Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Re: AKAI MPD18 won't trigger any VI in PT10

I just tried my AKAI LPK25 USB Keyboard and it works fine with Strike and Velvet.

Does this mean I need a driver for my AKAI MPD18? I have used two different cables. Is it broken? It powers up and it does send a very "weak" (very small green light) signal. I would use my USB Keyboard but it would be great to have the pads for touch sensitive input.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:29 PM

The AKAI USB Keyboard works in Garageband but the AKAI MPD18 doesn't. This is starting to sound like the AKAI MPD18 is broken. But it still lights up. I guess I should find a forum for AKAI unless anyone here has experience with this.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 AM

Im having trouble getting my usb akai mpk mini to work as well. I create an instrument track, set it up in midi studio but im not sure if im doing the right things with the inputs and outputs as i cant get it to show any input at all, never mind using any plugins. Anyone point me to a decent tutorial? Im using a ux2 as my audio output and the mpk mini is a usb controller so doesnt go in thu my audio interface!

CalebB you have your USB keyboard working in pro tools. Can you give me some guidance on how to do this, it doesnt seem to work before I put a VI in. I must be doing something fairly fundamentally wrong.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Are you trying to record audio? Or MIDI? If you're recording audio then use the audio outputs of the keyboard to an input on your hardware. Then you need to create an audio track and assign the correct inputs. If you're using MIDI then you need a VI for there to be any sound. Pro Tools should pick up your keyboard if its the only MIDI instrument plugged in. Make sure you have a MIDI out form your keyboard into a MIDI in on your interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 AM

Question Re: AKAI MPD18 won't trigger any VI in PT10

Im recording midi. Ive set up a stereo instrument track, set up a controller in the midi studio and set the input to the mini mpk so it is seeing the mpk. I set up minimoog V as my plugin and have recoed set but im getting no movement on the volume display, no green bars nothing. I have installed the drivers for the mpk but theres no way to test it standalone. Im not using asio drivers as my pod ux2 is used as my audio interface but the mpk doesnt go through it, its direct in via usb. Could that have something to do with it? I may end up sending the.mpk back this weekend as ive spent the best part of a week trying on and off but ive not even got a note out of it.